Pitt reactions

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 11, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, I imagine that the qb must run right now.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I'm sure there's a reason he's third. I just can't help but feel like he would have hit a few of those deep balls this past weekend.

As for Milton, do we really feel we will need him for 3 years? Seems like CH should be recruiting "his guy" within that period of time. I haven't kept up with recruiting at all, but I do see that we have the #3 Dual Threat QB committed. Are expectations high with him?

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I've allowed some time to digest the game and not let my emotions influence my thoughts too much.

BLUF - Good effort, tough officiating, plenty of things to work on.

Milton was graded as a 3* transfer I believe and we're seeing why that is. While being a physical freak, he has no touch at all. We left two-three TD's at a minimum on the field. While Hooker is far from perfect, he moved the ball and took the team down to score. It's a tough situation to be in but this offense requires stretching the field and deep ball accuracy...if Milton can't connect, he's not the guy. Doesn't mean he can't be, he just isn't right now.

I know we gave up points and I know it was Pitt but I was pleased with our defensive performance. I knew before the game their QB was seasoned so it was going to be tough but given the tight situations they were put in, they responded positively. I really like Banks' attitude and thought he in particular played an excellent game (even though he had that PF called).

Penalties, that has to be cleaned up. I know the ACC crew played a role but we definitely hurt ourselves a bit too.

An intangible that I noticed was that they played hard for all four quarters. I posted this on Saturday, but it really says something when you notice that a team plays hard for four quarters.

In closing, I'm not mad a Saturday and that's primarily because of my expectations. I still think 6-6 is achievable for this team but we're so thin that a few players hurt, out for COVID, etc. and we're easily 5-7 or 4-8.

Memtownvol and TangoUniform like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, the absences saturday may well have made a difference on that outcome already.

Memtownvol likes this.
  5. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

So it really just boils down to, we might have a decent coach after all, Coaching up Crompton type Qb's might land us better assistants, in the future, but if he had just put Wilkes on the field , we would have been closer!

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Shit. If endlessly optimistic Chavis isn’t on board, we’re doomed.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

or maybe we are finally on the right track...

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So, the Tenny kiss of death has really been the Chavis kiss of death this whole time?

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Death never had time to read Tenny’s posts either

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I feel the most confident since ‘09 tbh. Heupel got a very good bunch of coaches to come work for him

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not being able to sneak, and a little soft over the middle on defense are questioned. I didnt see much bad coaching though. Some penalties were bs. Others are from being in a new system, 3 different centers at least thru 2 games and 2 different qbs.

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Hated the Pruitt hire and came around on it. For everyone’s sake I’ll remain negative and y’all can serve me up crow when I’m inevitably wrong.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I’d say there are a few that are always much more optimistic than I am.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's really about how a bird is cooked and seasoned, anyway.

chavisut likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm far from 100% sold on Heupel as a head coach and being able to steer the ship completely where it needs to go, but I do think he's at least gonna turn it around and get us out from from the iceberg field it's currently in.

However, offensively? I'm 110% on board for this. Not sure my heart is ready for a constant stream of verticals, but it'll get there.

16. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Milton making it work is still the best case scenario for the future of the program…..he just might need some bubble wrap.

justingroves likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

FWIW - Milton is still the guy if he's not injured.

He could honestly use a game against a TN Tech.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I would rather start Hooker this week, jump out to a quick three score lead, then let Milton work on his deep ball. The last thing you need is to trot Milton out there and he starts missing more deep balls and the fans get restless while we drive the struggle bus against a low tier OVC team.

justingroves likes this.
  19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

UT could railroad TTU by running like they did with BG, but that isn’t what needs to happen

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd rather see a fullback, three yards, and a cloud of dust, but being it's 2021, I've decided to just say screw it and get on board.

NorrisAlan likes this.