Mizzou thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah they suck but we have been running into ourselves enough for years and no chance for 45. JH has had players in space all season. Fun to watch

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Defenders didn't even breakdown into hitting position. The lack of effort those guys showed today should have gotten them all canned after the final whistle but i hope that the Missouri staff remains there completely intact until they're asked to leave the conference.

3. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

Really sucks to see what a missed opportunity last week was. Just far too many penalties and dropped passes.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah we can see the game plan last week, but we made a ton of unforced errors. Kentucky couldn’t do crap on offense, but they blocked a punt and Florida had six false starts on third and fourth downs alone, and…well, you see the difference. It happens, hopefully we get closer and closer to that A game every week moving forward.

Memtownvol likes this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Need to slow the pace down. I was watching the game with a 5 month old and missed half of our offensive plays because I look away from the TV for 10 seconds to take care of him.

This is unacceptable.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Someone has their priorities mixed up.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It should be noted that the Kentucky game is after a bye for us.

Tar Volon likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

3 pt underdogs and put up 62

10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

And had the refs not robbed us, we would’ve set a new school record for points against an SEC opponent. The record was 65 at Vandy in 1994.

We also fell just 35 yards short of the school record for yards in a game.

It’s honestly incredible that this team came that close to rewriting record books in a positive way

11. Ssmiff

At this time last year watching another horrible offense, I would have laughed if you woulda told me we would score on what should have been 11 of 11 possessions.
    Depth will be the deciding factor, but this team is good enough for 9-4. Watched Clemson a couple times and they are no better than we are. Neither is A & M.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Calm down.

13. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Just a heads up, there is a full replay of the game on youtube for anyone interested. (For some reason, it won't let me post the link)

14. Ssmiff

Clemson qb has some Guarantano in him and they aren't close to the same team at any position this year compared to prior. and Aggies got beat by MS st.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Depth is a huge issue, but the starting 11 on offense aren't too shabby.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Yeah but I feel we are a few injuries away from being vandy. They on the other hand, have a bit more depth. But to your point, either of the teams you've mentioned haven't impressed me at all given that they haven't gone through the shit show we've done to ourselves.

17. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I just cannot believe the defense is this good given what we knew about the roster. The only concern I have left with this staff is recruiting. That being said, it’s probably not fair to draw any conclusions from the 22 class given the late start/state of the program when they took over.

18. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I've mentioned this in another thread, it's time we start taking back the recruits we've been loaning to clemson. They've been getting fat off of our missteps and misfortune.

19. Ssmiff

The stats won't look good at times but for examples our batted balls are up, we defend the slant, I dont recall giving up too many deep balls yet, Banks is turning his head to find wrs coming into his area in pass coverage instead of just playing zone and staring at the qb, and dbs are anticipating and breaking quite often before the qb has released. And they appear to tackle pretty well

Volsdude and Memtownvol like this.
  20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Our rate stats are going to make some seemingly ugly defensive performances look a lot better. We held Pitt to 4.8 yards per play. Their second-worst offensive performance of the season was 7.0 YPP against UMass—they were over 7 against Georgia Tech and 8.8(!) in their loss to Western Michigan (their turnover margin was -3, exactly the opposite of their +3 against us).

Our D really did fall apart in the second half against Florida, and it had one really bad quarter against Pitt, but it’s actually been fairly salty this season. Ole Miss is a real concern, as is the talent discrepancy against Alabama and Georgia, but our hyperspeed play has obscured some real quality on that side of the ball.