Anyone Ever had a Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Feb 1, 2021.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Where do I sign up for Heaven? WHERE?

2. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It seems pretty.. basic and simplistic to think changing actions based on these hypothetical scenarios is somehow hypocritical. New information is presented, therefore how one comes to conclusions is also altered. In that reality, your "morality" you're standing on is of no service to yourself nor anybody else. And if it has no value, you're failing to convince me that not only are you not correct, nor is it worth considering.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm confused. I should answer to myself, rather than put myself first ahead of... myself? What? Let's say there is one person who will either be tortured forever, or will be spared based on my action. Would it be acceptable to take an action for my honor if it dooms them?

Because in this situation, there is that one and only one person. Me. So I am being accountable to myself. I am sacrificing PRIDE to avoid a person being tortured. That person happens to be me. Self-harm is wrong.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They become adults and plenty change their views compared to a teen in Sunday school. Everybody has a choice.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Doing something selfless and honorable has immense value to me.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

As Picard said, "I would have said 5 lights. I would have said anything."

IP likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So it sounds like it isn't truly selfless if it has value to you. That's you getting a dopamine hit. That's not selfless.

chef65 likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

No Sunday School in China.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. fl0at_

You're now concluding that there is only you. Do you believe that there is only you?

10. fl0at_

Selfless is putting others first. It doesn't mean 100% others. It just means them first.

Sure. I feel honorable by being selfless. But I feel it last.

11. NorrisAlan

And growing up in India, there being only one God literally makes not sense to you, no different than for Americans to believe in all the gods in India. To the USA people (save the very few converts), they are all fake. All of them. And to bow before a statue of a multiheaded, multiarmed freakazoid seems foolish.

But not to the people of Inida. It is natural and makes sense.

Because that is what they grew up believing.

chef65 likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

In this scenario, I have just been shown direct irrefutable evidence that there is a god. What I believe has been rendered false. I would not be able to trust any of my faculties. I could only accept what I am being told-- this was my personal judgement/situation.

Hey man, I could lie to you be like, "woo, fight the power!" But I have a pretty good imagination and I am certain this would not be my reaction. I never claimed to be a paragon of anything, and at that point my previous judgement would be proven unreliable anyway.

chef65 likes this.
  13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Is the biblical hell a place of torture though, or just the absence of paradise and the presence of god? Sometimes I think Dante's Inferno has shaped the christian hell more than the bible.

chef65 likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If hell is the absence of god, how will I know the difference between that and Earth?

chef65 likes this.
  15. fl0at_

If there is only the one, nothing you do can be selfish or selfless.

Since Picard was mentioned, let's examine a hypothetical where if he were standing in front of a panel, and told, "If you enter the door to the right, you will be in paradise, but some of your crew might suffer. If you object, you immediately suffer. Please take the door, or object."

I imagine he would object. He seems pretty selfless. Pretty honorable. Captain of his ship type.

What I'm asking, IP, is would you object, or take the door on the right?

16. fl0at_

All the people floating away I think.

17. NorrisAlan

It has. It is really an interesting thing to read about how Christian views have changed over 2000 years. When I was in church, I had no idea that the Rapture was a contemporary belief.

chef65 likes this.
  18. fl0at_

How'd you get through Easter without mention of rising again?

19. NorrisAlan

Heard it all the time. But the Rapture, the living Christians at the end days would be magically toted off to heaven, is something invented pretty much in the 19th century (as I understand it).

20. fl0at_

Then what did everyone think happened at the second coming?