Anyone Ever had a Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

why? To be there for my family and try to enjoy the gift of life as much as possible. You don't just go grab the trophy without running the race do you?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What you know you want in the future, you know you want now. You may only half ass want heaven today, but you know you'll reallllllly want it in the future. You have that knowledge. So it's really the same thing. You want to be around a long time. You still yearn for heaven. These two statements aren't in conflict with each other.

Knowing that one thing will occur, and knowing that something else will occur at the same time, it doesn't matter which one you want, they both occur, and therefore you are yearning for both. They go hand in hand.

It makes no difference if I say: Christians yearn for the second coming, which will cause billions to suffer.

All you're doing by not taking ownership of that last bit, is being willfully ignorant to your desire to bring it about. If you truly didn't want billions to suffer, you'd never want the second coming, if you believe that the second coming will result in billions suffering.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Degrees I guess.

4. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Thanks for your honesty. That’s incredibly thought provoking. I think the moral position would be to tell Yahweh to [uck fay] off but I’d definitely grovel if given a chance after death.

5. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Do you believe in multiple spirits or is Yahweh the only one?

6. chef65

chef65 Contributor

That was my exact take a few years ago and if you actually carried through with this after death if given a real choice you’d be my God.

Anyway it’s most likely (and I mean 99.9999999999999999%) hypothetical. I cannot fathom consciousness continuing in any way after the complete decomposition of one’s nervous system.

7. chef65

chef65 Contributor

This is something that’s driven me mad since the twentieth century. If I were a psychopathic supernatural entity hellbent on enforcing either eternal punishment or permanent bliss on every member of a particular species of primate I’d make the criteria appreciation.

Did you go outside and view three planets tonight or just do the same thing you always do? Did you notice that Monarch I sent fluttering by your path? How about Anna Kendrick?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  8. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Good stuff. I’ve had similar thoughts but they were more fuzzy.

9. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I have to admit that sounds sexy. Without encountering the internet I’d probably be sucking Ken Jennings’ [ock cay].

10. chef65

chef65 Contributor

At one point, I think, I believed good people went to heaven and everyone else just died naturally.

Who benefits from even Hitler himself suffering forever as opposed to just dying?

11. chef65

chef65 Contributor

This is the greatest thing I’ve ever read.

12. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Ingersoll in 1896 realized this:

https://infidels.org/library/historical/robert-ingersoll-why-i-am-agnostic/

13. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I call shenanigans! That’s an effective rhetorical device though.

Poppa T likes this.
  14. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Imma try to draw yo ass a picture. Let’s say I’m not Chef, a nebulous internet presence who you presume, nay assume shares your cultural traditions. Nope, I’m a member of a tribe in the Amazon (not the company but the rainforest south of where you are).

I’ve never heard the Gospel and likely never will unless you schlep your theology down here. You make your case but all I can think about is my next meal and finding a way to impregnate every woman and monkey within ten miles. I now die having rejected you. Would I have been better off if you just minded your [dadgum] business?

15. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I’d just ask questions. Who are you? Where am I?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Answer

16. chef65

chef65 Contributor

You need to relax your certainty. Remember the legacy of Socrates.

17. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I’ll close with more Ingersoll:

“Let us be true to ourselves -- true to the facts we know, and
    let us, above all things, preserve the veracity of our souls.

If there be gods we cannot help them, but we can assist our
    fellow-men. We cannot love the inconceivable, but we can love wife
    and child and friend.

We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked
    what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not
    know. We can tell the truth, and we can enjoy the blessed freedom
    that the brave have won. We can destroy the monsters of
    superstition, the hissing snakes of ignorance and fear. We can
    drive from our minds the frightful things that tear and wound with
    beak and fang. We can civilize our fellow-men. We can fill our
    lives with generous deeds, with loving words, with art and song,
    and all the ecstasies of love. We can flood our years with sunshine
    -- with the divine climate of kindness, and we can drain to the
    last drop the golden cup of joy.“

18. Ssmiff

I'm not sure if God looks at every instance as the same. For example, if a child dies before having the ability to decide, or a special needs person may not have the ability to choose, or your aborigine tribe may not have access. I don't believe those will be judged the same.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

So I would have been better off being born anywhere else but America?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

I dont have the answers IP. I suppose we will all find out one day