OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah it’s hard to learn stuff when you are working from home. Someone is much less likely to shadow someone and ask questions from home

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the people I sublet from are still not back at all from Covid so basically I have a nice home office without the home distractions

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I had one of those we work type offices last year. I spent 1.5 hours of travel when I did, and found I was really just going in for the free lattee and soda after the morning fruit set out. I agree there is an energy at times in an office but if work can truly be done remote I don’t understand spending the time and money to go in.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I enjoyed the office when I lived in the same city as some of my colleagues, but I've been 100% remote the last 18 years. I only visit the St. Pete office for special events as I have no colleagues here. Doesn't make sense.

5. Ssmiff

My dad was older and I used to ask him why he didn’t leave the house as much. I didn’t get it. Now at 52, I get it. Been there. Done that or seen it. Plus I like my dogs better than people. Only reason really to get out is to come right back and watch them as they act like they haven’t seen me in years.

gcbvol likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm around people all day long, working from home would drive me nuts. There's also no conceivable way I could work from, either.

CitrusCo.Vol likes this.
  7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I worked the 1st ~20 yrs in an office environment. In 1999 I was traveling for projects, when I came back after a 4 week project in Australia they asked me if I wanted to work from from home. I worked remote for the last 14 years of my career. The on-site work made me a better remote employee.

Toward the end of my career all the young folks (who worked remote) said they wished they had started in an on-site work environment like me, rather than remote.

The face-to-face networking, mentoring, social skills, work ethic and intellectual capital gained in an at work environment was mentioned by many of them. They weren't wrong and I acknowledged their youthful insight.

gcbvol, lumberjack4, droski and 3 others like this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We're going to have a problem in a few years with skilled labor and trades. There's no one under the age of 40 doing it, seems like.

If I were 17, I would learn welding.

A-Smith, Joseph Brant and zehr27 like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Yep. And own your own business soon after.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Name your price on your work

11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My grandmother back in 60's wanted me and my brothers to be plumbers. I told her I wanted to be an educated hobo. Get a degree then ride the trains.

I have a nephew who went to welding school and got his master welder certification (I think that's what it is called). Worked for a small cropduster plane company. Got burned out and manages/maintains 100's of acres on one of those southen Georgia hunting plantations (yep, they call them "plantations"). He loves driving his tractor and working outside.

justingroves likes this.
  12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think over the next 10 years, you'll see a greater share of the promotions and advancement opportunities go to people who put facetime in at the office. They may not be the best people, but management having a comfortable relationship with someone that they feel can do the job even if not the best job is a major factor a lot of times.

I'm at the point where I've left the management career path to do the more fun stuff, have built great relationships over the last 15 years and can work from home and not miss much. But I already see it being negative on career development for younger people. It will have to be addressed eventually, not sure what the right answer is though.

CardinalVol likes this.
  13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ive got 3 kids under 6. Even though I'm technically 100% remote, I like having the option to have somewhere else to go if I need to.

gcbvol and justingroves like this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Drank 2 gallons and two liter bottles of water yesterday, only pissed once. It's [uck fay]ing hot

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Next week is brutal and half of us may not have electricity

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's ridiculous

17. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

It's a different world today, nobody wants to put the grunt work in to learn a trade. People want to walk in and be the foreman.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The old guys I worked landscaping and lawn care with 20 years ago used to sit around and say the same thing.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kinda want the homophobes now blaming being gay as the reason one gets monkeypox to discover the difference between correlation and causation. Heteros can absolutely get monkeypox, it just broke out in the gay community through circumstance.

Apparently there is a move to change the name, since it has nothing to do with monkeys.

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

China Pox?