POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think there's a good chance Gay Marriage gets hung up in the 2/3 of the House and Senate part of the process. Your link shows that only 55% of Republicans support.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So only a majority... huh.

What's the line, and why is interracial locked in, whereas gay isn't?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm sure you probably have a fair few number of people who aren't fans of it but stop short of saying that two consensual adults should be legally forbidden from entering into a marriage because of the color of their skin.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

C'mon dude. Doing a Constitutional amendment is not easy or simple or fast.

We are still waiting on the decision for the ERA (I think). We've only done like 17 since we did the 1st 10 back during Bill of Rights days.

Re: 26th. Yes, it was one of, if not the fastest. However, they argued about that going back to WWII (one of my WWII grandads talked about "old enuff to fight, old enuff to vote") and finally with Nam draft it was done.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How much arguing do you hear now about whether white folks should be able to marry black folks? The arguments happen a long time ago, and now pretty much everyone agrees. An Amendment isn't needed because no state will pass a law against it, but even if they did, the Amendment would come swiftly.

6. fl0at_

There isn't a lot of distance between "not a fan" and "illegal."

It's about the same distance as "right" and "not illegal."

Currently, it is not illegal. I would prefer it be a right. If it is so simple, and so easy, and so loved--why isn't it done?

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Regardless of the argument, saying "just make an Amendment" is like saying "just balance the budget".

Everyone wants to but it never ever happens.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was alive earlier this afternoon when you jumped on float for saying "no one," and now you say "no one" when you showed millions do.

Good luck on the constitutional amendment.

9. fl0at_

The constitutional amendment is a shit argument.

Even if it was fast, it isn't instant. Which means, there would be a period of time where it was illegal, somewhere.

Even if not long, it still would be illegal. For some period of time. Which is insanity.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It hasn't needed to be.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/05/1...itutionality-of-bans-on-interracial-marriage/

12. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Well, given that our boy on SCOTUS probably feels like you do re: interracial marriage being at risk. He ain't skeert. All the other shit he called out is at risk.

My wife and mother thought the Equal Rights for Women would easily pass and be ratified back in the '70s.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Indy isn't worried about his interracial marriage being overturned because its been legal for 50 years. Yet until just 4 days ago abortion was legal for 41 years...

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Gay marriage and the abortion status quo support are roughly equal. So it sucks for the gay population, marriage discrimination is back on the table.

gcbvol likes this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

FYP.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

17. fl0at_

It has needed to be, which is why there was a court case. There remains a need, since the court has decided that only things made legal are actually legal.

If the court ever decide that this isn't legal.. and isn't legal by another means, it would be... illegal. Even if briefly.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. fl0at_

There is at least one justice that believes that marriage should be revisited. If so, and let's say it doesn't survive equal protection... then I suppose you can't hold interracial to the same protection, can you?

Which means you're back to just trusting people won't change.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It clearly doesn't include women according to SCOTUS.