Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

These conferences will need to rebrand.

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

This shit is so sad to me. And I think also possibly shortsighted, though only time will tell.

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Big (10+1+3+2) and Southeasternish Conference.

4. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

What about some type of promotion/relegation like in soccer? There are roughly 120 teams in D1 football. Make 3 leagues. Tier 1, 2 and 3. 40 teams in each league split into 2 20 team conferences. If you finish in the last 4 of your conference you get relegated to the next tier down and so on. The top 4 get promoted to the next tier up.

That way no one really gets left on the outside.

If 40 is too many then make 4 leagues with 30 teams in each league.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Cal will fold its football program and join whatever Gonzaga's conference is for basketball.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wouldn’t surprise me. It’s either big 10 or die pretty much

A-Smith likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unless everyone plays everyone, a relegation/promotion system would suck. I absolutely LOVE relegation/promotion, but you have to really want to make it work.

And lets face it, Americans are not going to go for it.

IP likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I haven’t read the history of how it came about everywhere else but it seems really difficult to just switch to that format. It’s just not set up for it here in any sport and nobody is going to agree to it

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've seen some fun relegation articles that do it geographically. (Think SEC and Sun Belt, B1G and MAC grouped together.)

I saw one that did it from FBS to NAIA Division 2. THAT was a doozy

10. OneForVol

Yeah, just a thought. I just think we are headed to a situation where a lot of good programs are going to be left out and I think that sucks.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

Yeah, I hate it. Regionalism drives college sports, IMHO. But maybe it is just a brand new world and I have to adapt.

InVolNerable and OneForVol like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a good thought, but i think it would require some innovation and a level of dynamism in annual schedules that traditionalists would hate. I.e. conferences being reorganized each season and little or no protected opponents. Might even have to only put out half a season schedule at a time.

Imagine 8 pods of 6 carved out of all conferences, 5 game half-seasons. Top 3 advance towards another pod to try and make the playoff, and 4 get put into a survival pod trying to avoid relegation.

Round Robin again. top team in each playoff pod advances to a 4 team playoff.

Bottom team in each survival pod gets swapped out for top performers in a lower rung next season.

Pods for next season get regionally seeded based on overall results. E.g. survival pod winners can be top 3 seeds next season.

This would be fun. Could still have bowls, but there would be so few to no regular opponents, the second half of the season for every team that it would have that fresh matchup feeling.

Traditionalists would hate it.

OneForVol likes this.
  13. OneForVol

See that sounds like fun to me.

The traditionalists are going hate what’s coming anyway so might as well go all in.

14. OneForVol

I could see a scenario where the super conferences get 3-4 bids into the playoffs and the smaller conferences get one. Kinda like the Champions league qualification.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

No. The French, Russian, and Chinese revolutions were also brand new worlds.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Edmund Burke was right about everything

17. NorrisAlan

So was the 'Merican.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah but less so.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He has a blue check but only 5000 followers. Not the type that usually breaks stuff like this.