Georgia

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We haven’t hit Fant on that pass all year. Not sure that’s what we want

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But it was there. More important is the fact that we had the ball near midfield with a chance to cut it to a 1 score game late. With our offense, there was plenty of time on the clock, and all we would have needed after a score was 1 stop or an onside kick.

Not likely, but I think a lot of people were so emotional by that point that they don't even realize we got that close.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think the false starts/OL play was most of the difference in the game, or it was the butterfly effect if nothing else.

I'm now even more glad we got LSU at 11 AM and started well.

When is the last time Georgia played a meaningful game at Sanford? Seems like it's been a while. They were getting a correct rap as an underwhelming environment, but I think the issue is that they always play Florida neutral and typically haven't scheduled anyone of note. So we were their Super Bowl to some degree, which I think was borne out by their fans trying to get temporary structures erected to enclose the open end of the stadium, Kirby begging the fans to show up, etc. So backhanded credit to their crowd.

We definitely played like it was the first really hostile environment we've faced in a while. I'm not sure if most of the OL or Hooker really have while at Tennessee? Hooker didn't start in the Swamp last year. Bama were 25 point favorites last year.

Or I guess Georgia could have just been sandbagging on defense all year (or since Oregon). But you'd think the players would want to try to get drafted enough to at least occasionally show up.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, I think it is all of the above.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the swamp was Hooker’s first start but yeah

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That's right; I've blocked out all memory of that and many other games and saw attempts for Milton in the box score.

justingroves likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What an Indy move.

dknash likes this.
  8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I noticed some great-looking throws while I was reading

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I can't take all the over the top for UGA and their defense.

Hot take:

Georgia would have at least 1 loss if they played our schedule. They lucked into not being part of the triangle of death with us, Bama, and LSU, who all had to play each other. And even those two lucked into not having to play UGA.

I don't know what irritates me more, the unearned praise of people saying UGA is the new Alabama, or the fact that people still want to put Oregon ahead of us despite the fact that we may have played 3 of the top 6 teams in the country this season and gone 2-1 against them.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Rece Davis says the UGA beat down of UT was just as bad as the UGA beat down of Oregon.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Nothing says "dominance" like being one play away from a 1 score game late in the 4th quarter.

Truly believe most people turned the game off at halftime or shortly after.

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It was a damn good first half too. 2nd half that night was a coat hanger abortion however

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Or 3.5 yards per carry.

Georgia definitely took the air out of the ball, and I’m 100% confident that they would’ve scored more if they’d been gunning for it in the second half—they were doing too well against our secondary. But they took the air out of the ball because they didn’t want to give our offense more chances. Against Oregon, they literally just put in their subs.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. Big difference between "we are going to run clock because we are afraid of what might happen if we give your offense too many possessions" and "we could score 50 but just don't feel like it tonight."

Like Groves mentioned, Bennett threw an early 3rd quarter pick against Florida just last week. They had gotten essentially a perfect game out of him through the first half, and they weren't risking him balancing that out in the 2nd half with mistakes.

15. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Oregon

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Maybe.

Georgia getting to become "the new Alabama" without even having to beat Alabama this season is pretty damn annoying though. We (and LSU) did their dirty work for them, just to be cast aside when we finally dropped a game in our absolutely brutal schedule.

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The Georgia love has been percolating for a while. Hate it, but it's been there. [uck fay] Oregon and their joke of a schedule and [uck fay] Bo Nix because [uck fay] Auburn. One of these years Georgia needs to play a real schedule instead of sleep walking past cupcakes as they prepare for weeks for their one big game. Oh and fuuuuuuck Georgia!!!

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

While we are at it, [uck fay] LSU too.

Lots of people talking about how if they manage to take down UGA in the SEC Championship, they deserve a playoff bid. How about go [uck fay] yourselves?

Tennessee basically won the West this season by beating its 2 best teams. And we beat LSU by 27 in Death Valley. In what universe should a 2-loss LSU team make the playoff over a 1 loss Tennessee team who BEAT LSU at their place? Again, it's not our fault we won the West but weren't allowed to represent it in the SEC Championship game.

19. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

3 months ago, I thought the Big 12 and PAC 12 were crazy for scraping divisions and sending the top 2 teams to the conference title game. Now, I think the SEC is crazy for not scrapping divisions and sending the top 2 teams to the conference title game.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bennett threw two