COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'll agree that the good work that happened was due to the heroic efforts by a lot of people, whose heroism was largely required by huge swaths of people making it their personal mission in life to make things as bad as possible, by refusing to be inconvenienced, in any way, and actively sabotaging any efforts to make things a little better during the deadliest medical event in our country's history.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Gov. Gavin Newsom not taking this stuff seriously and refusing to be inconvenienced by his own lockdown rules as he feasted at The French Laundry with his really important friends perfectly illustrates your overall point here. Maddening stuff.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I called him out at the time. Wrong is wrong. Or was he right since you clearly don't believe lock downs did anything anyways?

IP likes this.
  4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I simply can’t believe we couldn’t apply all this hindsight to what we had to learn in real time about a virus the world had never seen before.

warhammer and utvol0427 like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

All in all, we got a lot of things right and didn't follow through with it enough. Which makes the interpretation of things having been wrong kind of scary. If another pandemic comes in the next 20 years, we are [uck fay]ed because many people who never thought about anything like this before came away from this with the wrong lessons learned.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

How did you get from that post that I believe “lockdowns didn’t do anything” exactly? Enlighten me please.

The Governor of the biggest state in America not taking the pandemic seriously by refusing to be inconvenienced by his own rules he rigidly set for his own constituents speaks for itself. It perfectly encapsulates your frustrations and blame you are assigning here to the clown show that was the Pandemic.

7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don't know whose comments you're responding to here but I hope it's not mine. I am not making any criticisms that would not have been valid at the time, they don't require the benefit of hindsight at all.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

When are you going to post the valid criticisms?

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The last several pages on this thread is how we overreacted and were too draconian. We clearly didn't take this seriously enough and are fortunate that the vaccines came out as quickly as they did. If we take the conservatives' "lessons learned" from this response and apply it to the pandemic response, its gonna be tragic.

10. HCKevinSteele

See initial post in response to Lumberjack. I can flesh out all of those things in more detail but that's a good start.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I will say that the cost of those vaccines is tripling now, and that sure looks like greed after tax payers funded their creation

12. HCKevinSteele

What about the other stuff? I’m honestly just curious your thoughts. Obviously I threw that together fast so I may have to expand on parts but I believe all are things that would have been fair things to criticize even without the benefit of hindsight.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Big part of the problem is trying to have discussions with people who always want to make it about we vs them, dems vs reps, lefty vs righty. Politicking everything is a tired act. It’ll never get better until y’all chill the [uck fay] out on that shit. Trump and his 23 advisors [uck fay]ed up. So did a lot of people. Including Fauci. It happens. But don’t go pointing fingers of blame at people who don’t trust any of those people and question someone’s right to question.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The kids are fine and there are more healthy ones with live grandparents than there otherwise would have been. Our bodies use mRNA constantly for everything, an injection of some amid the myriad of germs injecting it into them all the time is not problematic. Vaccine reactions are immune system overreactions. Most occur right away if they will happen, and most issues, even severe ones, clear. Kids get a lot of vaccines and that has directly led to lower childhood mortality. These same vax hysterics were going on in General Washington's army. He required his soldiers to get the vaccine or be discharged.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm a registered republican, but please continue.

16. HCKevinSteele

How about “if you’re vaccinated you won’t get Covid” and “the vaccine prevents the infected from spreading Covid”?

Those were two unbelievably massive f**k ups. There is no legitimate argument to the contrary. Hindsight isn’t needed for that criticism. If they knew it was a lie it’s evil. If they didn’t know then the message should have been different. Possibly the biggest policy failure of the Covid response was allowing epidemiologists/medical people/ scientists drive messaging. They are experts in a narrow field and they should have never had that responsibility.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

No affiliation here. Feels great, like Ned Flanders in his ski suit.

18. HCKevinSteele

Also, I know you’re talking vaccine specifically but while we’re here, the kids are not fine. Failures in our response undoubtedly ruined the lives of far more kids than have died during Covid.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m also looking for hood population-level studies with age breakouts. But I haven’t seen papers yet that I’d really hold up there either way. They are either too general and don’t break down age, COVID exposure, etc very well or too zoomed in and limited in scope. Not saying they are out there but I haven’t come across them.

Anecdotally I know a ton of kids (and adults) who had the vaccine. I haven’t heard of any issues. Being in Canada uptake was very high (both Moderna and Pfizer) and between kids at school, parents, people at work, people I work with at other companies, everyone is doing well it seems. All anecdotal of course. But I compare it to the pandemic where I know two people I went to high school with that died from it, family members (older), and numerous folks from the community I grew up in and remembered from childhood. The sudden death stories are obviously concerning but you have to see solid statistics on it to get your head around it. I haven’t had anyone in my circle that has died that way but I try not to Make the anecdotal too significant.

The weirdest health stuff has been going on with my sister who is suddenly having
    organ issues and had a stroke (maybe no evidence other than definite prolonged symptoms). She had COVID twice. No vaccine. But not ready to call that a COVID thing. She doesn’t have blood coagulation issues or other obvious associations.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Nothing at all!