COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

talking about the bullshit we put our kids thru by shutting down schools. kids are alive today if we didn’t force them to stay at home. Homes where many can’t wait to leave everyday and be with students and friends. It was a dumb decision.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I will leave that up to medical doctors.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, which again was long before the vaccines were available.

Also, these retrospectives assume the shutdowns did nothing to curve the spread and save lives among the more vulnerable. They did net save lives.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You base this on child-like reasoning, as if everything happens the same but the suicides by doing a different action which changed the daily routine of 10's of millions during a pandemic.

5. Ssmiff

I asked several. At walk-in clinics, at Vanderbilt Childrens hospital. Have known local pediatricians for 20 years. Not one of them suggested we get it unless we had to.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, so you were not forced?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hindsight is easy, I blame no one for shutting schools down for a bit

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be clear, nothing stated here actually happened. No one even told you that your kids needed a vaccine at all. Certainly not every month, or week. No one from the govt ever approached you at all.

You just said all this... for reasons that elude me. Like a ghost story, very spooky. Is Fauci in the room with us now?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not sure how it should have gone even now, especially in 2020.

10. Ssmiff

I had to watch 2 virtual funerals during the shutdown with my then 14 year old. One 14 year old boy and 16 year old girl. I’ll take my “child like reasoning” over the bullshit you continue to make excuses for, whether it be Fauci, supporting school shutdowns or insisting a 3 year old get a 4th version of a covid vaccine.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This is only true if you lump everyone together and don’t stratify the data out by sex age and dose.

The main issue was a one size fits all policy and not allowing discussion and opinions on it in the name of fighting vaccine hesitancy.

most likely just giving one dose or just extending the time between two doses and not giving Moderna to younger people would have been the play.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

sweden done it the right way.

public education will never be the same what this did to online school and home school enrollment will dramatically change our society.

13. Ssmiff

parents on your side of the aisle attacked others to no end. We cancelled sporting events which required proof of covid shot. Are you saying we weren’t told to get our kids vaccinated?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can not run a pandemic response for a disease infecting and killing millions differently based on that kind of thing. Yes, child-like. Am I supposed to shrink away because you brought up funerals? Hello, millions dead. It's all awful, there wasn't a "everyone just goes about their business and is okay" lever to pull.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

You were never forced
    Measures were taken for public safety based on people's individual choices. That's all debatable in hindsight but if canceling a sporting event met 5 more grandmas lived to see the Vols beat Bama, I think it was a good call.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Couldn't know not to give Moderna before enough people in that demographic had been given it for the level of incident to be apparent. Thats hindsight.

17. Ssmiff

wait a second. You can’t run a pandemic response without considering the mental health of millions of adolescents who are at very low risk of getting sick, much less dying, from the virus?
    I bet they will next time.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

justingroves likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They considered it, it was talked about the whole time. Isolation, quarantine blues, etc.

What you don't seem capable of understanding is that they can spread and transmit the virus to other people in their household, so their individual mortality risk isn't really the point of limiting contacts. It is a population level problem, not an individual one.

20. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m just curious to know the true rate of moderate to severe adverse reactions in kids to the vaccine, or also other longer term type issues that haven’t been discovered yet. It would not be surprising to me if the cost-benefit analysis there would ultimately favor not vaccinating kids.

You say there’s not a significant observable problem, but I don’t think any problems have to be statistically significant since pediatric Covid deaths are insignificant.

Plus we all know good and [dadgum] well these pharma companies weren’t going to leave money on the table here even if the evidence did not support giving it to children.

I’m not dead set on this view, simply that we’ve been lied to enough and there’s not enough evidence (and the fact that I don’t know what “evidence” is trustworthy anymore) to convince me.

Everyone has their anecdotal stories. I had a scary reaction to the second shot and later got Covid any way. I know a very healthy 22 or 23 that now has permanent heart issues from the vaccine. If my social circle was everyone I work with and friends I’ve seen or talked to in the past 3 years and their families there are more significant issues from the vaccine than Covid deaths or serious issues from Covid. My grandmother is in congestive heart failure and she got Covid and was barely even sick.

ole_orange likes this.