Mizzou Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Come on, man. The dude had 200+ yards and 5 TD’s against Alabama. He jumped from 200 yards and a TD in 2021 (with Heupel as his coach) to 1,200 yards and 15 TD’s the following season. But he wouldn’t have made a dime in the NFL without Heupel?

Give the kid some credit for his success, for crying out loud. He earned it.

2. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

No I think he’s terrible. Nothing going on between the ears. Can’t throw with touch. You put him on 90% of teams and you can flip those numbers if he stays out on the field long enough. Heupel has sheltered him all season for good reason.

edit to add: https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/8 6th best qbr in sec is as good as it gets with that dude

A-Smith and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow great stuff. Thanks so much.

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't think I'm shortchanging him when I say that he was extremely raw and had next to zero confidence in what he could do on the field when this staff arrived. They had to talk him out of transferring to lower level of football all throughout their first year.

Volsdude likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This makes no sense coming from you.

You were involved in the beginning of this conversation when I made the comments about his back being against the wall if we struggle next season. You were the person who asked for the 2 sentence thesis where I made it clear I’m looking forward at “what ifs.”

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Would love to see the stat comparisons in the SEC alone. We played a 2-8 team and a 1-9 team OOC, and that doesn’t even include Austin Peay.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Then we can agree to disagree. I think the kid deserves the most credit, and I think Heupel deserves a fair amount, both for the development and the playcalling that highlighted him. Also think Hooker deserves a similar amount of credit as Heupel. Maybe a 50-30-20 split. Or even 60-25-15.

8. Volsdude

Good news for you. I posted about him after the A&M game I think and he was about a 54. Below Devin Leary iirc. So that’s after Alabama, Kentucky, and Missouri. Where he went 73.7, 86.8, and 71.7 respectively.

Tar Volon likes this.
  9. Volsdude

Not to mention heupel had him matched up with safetys and linebackers all game. Hyatts fast and a good player, heupel utilized him perfectly. Idk why both these things can’t be true and we have to dole out credit based on percentage points…

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you are confused, that makes two of us

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because @PilotFlyingJ is claiming Hyatt is only making a dime in the NFL because Heupel was his coach. That suggests he’s nothing without Heupel. I just don’t agree at all.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If my math is correct, his QBR in SEC games would drop him to 10th. But you’d obviously have to run the same numbers for the other guys, which I don’t care enough to do.

13. Volsdude

Yeah your math means nothing without accounting for the other qbs schedules. Thanks for your hard work.

I’m crashing. Don’t really care what you think about what hyatts draft stock would have been without heupel but put me down on PFJs team.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay.

15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

"That suggests". I don't think I left anything up for interpretation when I wrote what has been widely reported on by various media outlets over the years. HE didn't think that HE could play at this level. The staff (along with his father) had to talk him out of transferring to a lower level of football throughout '21. Heupel and his staff saw something in Hyatt that he himself and many others did not see.

They didn't teach him how to run fast or how to catch a football but they did a doggone lot to take him from the player he was when they walked in on January 27th 2021 to the elite talent that was showcased on October 15th 2022.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No

A-Smith and Volsdude like this.
  17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Y’all remember when Indy wanted to bench Dobbs for Quentin Dormady? The good old days

A-Smith, justingroves and SetVol13 like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

he averaged around 1 catch per game the first 2 years and total of 4 tds. Not positive, but I believe he was still fast. Obviously Heupel, his scheme, Hooker, other wrs and wr coach were all a part. Since we are going by % effect, I’d go 18% 19%, 16%, 14% , 14% and 19% to Hyatt as far as due credit. Siap

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I thought Indy was on vacation?