Mizzou Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If 10 different posters respond to various parts of my posts, there’s nothing wrong with me responding to them. @Tar Volon and I went back and forth with little issue. Groves and I seem to be on the same page about way more than we aren’t. You’re the main person I’ve argued with, and you happen to be the main person who didn’t read anything from the previous conversation.

Yeah man, it’s you.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think if you asked anybody what your point was the last 4 pages, nobody would know. Not even sure you do.

justingroves, utvol0427 and IP like this.
  3. Ssmiff

Best quote so far is:
    “I’m not saying Nico should’ve played. I’m just saying ‘Why play him at Bama’ is a dumb comment.”
    You can’t make this shit up.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If anybody read the last 4 pages, they would know. But doing so is a pain in the ass because I’ve spent the better part of the last 2 pages spoon feeding you the points from the discussion that you refused to read.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You left out the rest, to no one’s surprise:

I don’t know if Nico is the better QB, but Heupel sure as shit better have a good idea. And if Nico is going to be “the guy” for us going forward, I’d say there’s a pretty good shot he’s better than Milton, right now.

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I read the last 4 pages and I have no idea. I start glazing after the 10th paragraph.

7. Ssmiff

Peyton Manning was 3rd string his freshman year until the starter was injured. Cutcliffe must’ve not known wtf he was doing.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I literally do not know.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You shouldn’t be able to understand any of it with me blocked.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh look, you’re doing it again! Highlighting one specific point and making fun of a stance I never had. What is this, the 4th time? 5th?

11. Ssmiff

im making a point about freshman qbs you can’t grasp. From calling protections to knowing the playbook to OL issues to wr issues to wrist injury it’s been explained adnauseum why Nico hasn’t played.
    So if in your words, “I’m not saying nico should’ve played against bama”, wtf is your point about Nico and bama? Still riding with “we had a halftime lead and coulda been more with Nico”? Brilliant

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Correct. The players are the ones who get it done. Saying that, none of aforementioned stars from '22 were diamonds waiting to be discovered. The coaches gained their trust (which was difficult considering the ineptitude of the previous staff), instilled confidence, and then coached the hell out of them. They took guys with a few raw skills and made them some ball playin sonofaguns.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Here y’all go. Main Point:

There was also a separate discussion about how much credit Heupel deserved (vs how much the players deserved) for last season’s results (too many posts to bother). It’s an important piece to understand when discussing my stance about back to back seasons going 8-4 (above - this year and next year). If you think Heupel deserves 100% of the credit, I can see why back to back 8-4’s wouldn’t phase you. But I feel it’s more of a mix. So back to back 8-4’s would take a ton of shine off last year’s success, imo.

That led to how we got on the Milton starting over Hooker piece:

And then Ssmiff took over, asking about individual pieces of the above outside of the context of the greater argument/discussion. 4 pages later, here we are.

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't agree with that at all. 2021 was a major success. Heupel and Co. walked in to a program sitting on DEFCON 1 and managed to come within a few good bounces from winning nine ball games.

justingroves likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ok I think I got it. Hooker deserves more credit. Last year may have been a fluke for Heupel. Heupel wrongly chose to start Milton over Hooker. Heupel is also likely choosing the wrong qb again. And you are going out on a crazy limb making a huge call that you may not be sure Heupel can win SEC or National title.
    Ok now we can all move on now that it’s all clear.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Didn’t Hyatt record the fastest NFL speed ever recorded during training camp? If I remember correctly, his only real issue was that he couldn’t catch.

I’m not saying Heupel deserves no credit. He deserves a ton.

But do you see the issue with saying he “took guys with a few raw skills and made them some ball playin sonofaguns” then turning around and blaming the lack of production this year on “the players?” Why was he able to coach them up last year but not this year? Are these players really THAT bad? You’ve already made it clear that you don’t think last year’s players were that good.

17. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I am no qb guru, but I’ll say I can’t picture getting anything more out of Joe Milton than we have this season. Props to heupel for that bc I shudder to think what the previous turd burgular regimes would have made us suffer through. (Actually it’s easy to imagine bc JG showed us what would have been)

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You left out the most important part - that my position is based on an “if” about next year’s outcome. The shit you listed above (last year being a fluke, wrong QB’s, Heupel’s ceiling, etc.) only matters, imo, if we see back to back 8-4 seasons. Essentially, back to back 8-4’s in year 3 and 4 will inform my opinion on Heupel more than a 10-2 season in year 2.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He’s got 8 TD’s and 5 INT’s in 5 SEC games. You can’t see getting anything better than that out of him?

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Yeah, and without Heupel he'd be one of the fastest soandsos not making a dime in professional football.