Mizzou Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 11, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1 Leave Tim Banks in CoMo. Leave home there. Don’t even leave bus fare. We sat on our heels, he’s apparently never been told it’s legal to spy a QB, and a competent middle school team could convert a 3rd down against his defense.

2 Credit where due - our lines got their ass handed to them on both sides of the ball. All day long. That’s embarrassing.

3 We let a D2 dude go for 300 total yards against us. 300 yards.

4 Wrights fumble changed the game. We go in tied at the half at worst and it’s a completely different ballgame. The RBs somehow played worse than the defense somehow.

5 Sometimes I wonder if Heupel is there. Forget the players, today is one of those days I wonder if he is. And it’s not the first time I’ve wondered this.

6 Refs are pretty piss poor. Again. Didn’t help any time we had momentum a flag came out somewhere.

7 I guess it’s time to get reacquainted with the lower tier SEC bowls. UGA, Mizzou, Bama, and Ole Miss will all be above us for sure. Possibly LSU too. Assuming we get 2 in NY6 bowls…….I’m guessing Gator.

8 I cannot believe we let that [uck fay]ing doofus beat us like this.

9 On the lone bright side, punt coverage was A+.

10 I’m somehow more disappointed today than South Carolina last year. That was just sheer anger. This is just disappointment in all around effort, from head man down.

Bonus UGA is going to bend us over and make us like it next week.

Daddy Gee and A-Smith like this.
  2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Banks needs to be fired. If Heupel doesn't want to do it, then he needs to update his resume as well.

At this point in his career, he's a Jahmyr Gibbs drop away from being a tolerable version of Butch Jones.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Piss poor by all involved. Fumble before half then option call first play 2nd to put us in 2nd and long sum it up on offense.
    Defense confused and picked apart all day. Just horrible

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

3 minutes left in the game and our only points is from a circus catch on a third down prayer. Completely unacceptable.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

His managing of the RB rotation is still baffling. Sampson needs a lot more touches and I don't think he had a carry until well into the 3rd quarter.

tn_longrifles likes this.
  6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Today's the first day I thought Heupel making it past year 5 was less than 80%. He was a great bargain hire, but something is missing with him right now.

TDVol1989 and Tar Volon like this.
  7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This is honestly how I thought the game would go.

We have zero intensity on the road. Mizzou pissed after last year. Milton isn't bad enough to lose the game but isn't good enough to win it.

UGA will beat us by 20-30.

8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

His loyalty has bitten him in the ass this season. Hard.

9. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

if I am the AD, I let Heupel know that he has the mandate to make every change he deems necessary.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Teams that scored more points against Missouri:

South Dakota
    MTSU
    Kansas State
    Memphis
    Vanderbilt
    LSU
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Georgia

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Fire both Coordinators.

zehr27, PilotFlyingJ and utvol0427 like this.
  12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Heupel has done so much good at Tennessee in almost three years, but the absolute no-shows on the road are a trend at this point. We can manage noon kickoffs and trips to UK and Vandy, but everything else is a disaster. Changes on the defensive coaching staff are a must at this point, but man he's got to figure something out. It's possible that it's one of those things where one change will have a cascade effect, and maybe fixing the D fixes the road struggles. But it's going to put a hard ceiling on his tenure if we can't get it done.

Tend to agree about the Wright fumble changing the game, but our defense was playing so badly that I'm not sure how much it mattered.

DC Vol likes this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The OC will look great next year

OneForVol likes this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Fire the DC. Think we are all aligned there.

Heupel is an offensive coach. Despite our defense basically not existing today, their offense only scored 29 points. We should be “in” every single game where our opponent’s offense scores 29 points. 7 points against any team not named Bama or UGA is [uck fay]ing inexcusable.

10SEvols likes this.
  15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

JH is obviously better than any of the last four coaches we’ve had (what a low bar that is), but not sure I expect anything better than last season out of him at this point.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

This was never a good football team. Not at any point this season.

Didn’t expect them to win this game, but I did expect them to show up.

That’s an inexcusable, unprepared, uninspired performance. Not even bad teams get their asses handed to them by [uck fay]ing 30 at Missouri.

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

As long as we've got some answers on the line. I'm not really concerned about the skill guys, because (1) the coaching staff has managed a very flawed quarterback pretty well this year, (2) the quarterback we have next year should be better, (3) our RBs are actively good, and (4) we have a lot of young WRs forced into more playing time than they should've because of injuries this year. But our OL depth has been a problem, and they're responsible for a pretty high proportion of those drive-killing mistakes.

TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.
  18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah that’s true. I just think Nico is an other worldly talent who will overcome stuff

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This season was Heupel’s opportunity to buy himself some grace next season. Had he beat Florida and just showed up against Mizzou today, we finish 9-3 with 2 losses to ranked teams on the road and 1 loss to the eventual national champion. He would have some wiggle room going into next season.

I think he’s got his back against the wall now next year. 8-4 will be unacceptable. I think a lot of us will have a hard time with losses to anyone other than Bama and UGA.

20. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Didn’t expect to get blown out but definitely was expecting to lose a tough one. Not sure why so many had confidence.