Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think committee members likely discuss a hypothetical scenario of bama plays fsu, who wins. Think bama would be a double digit favorite.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Something people need to realize is that the SEC sucked this year. It was the worst the conference as a whole has been in a very long time.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Take, Washington should be #1 seed over Michigan, way more impressive wins and consistent tests

The Big 10 reputation is totally based on Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State being preseason top 10 and not playing anyone other than each other.

Memtownvol, InVolNerable and IP like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Bama barely beat Auburn last week. What makes you think Bama would beat FSU with that impressive defense?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

If this is how they work, they shouldn't release rankings and this is all just a popularity contest.

I think fsu would win on a neutral field.

zehr27 likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Psu and osu qbs never impressed. They weren’t winning anything of substance with those guys.

10SEvols likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I am weighing bama against undefeated fsu, I point out the auburn game, the first half at home against Tennessee, at home vs Texas and usf. That is off the top of my head and a third of their season.

They're not that impressive this year.

Memtownvol and 10SEvols like this.
  8. Ssmiff

Aub was Night rivalry road game vs a qb who carried it 15 times in a totally different offense. Don’t think FSU would be able to move the ball. Barely moved it on UL who gave up 38 to KY.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They will have their other QB back and he is good. They would have won by 21+ if he would have been able to play.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Auburn lost to New Mexico State by 3 touchdowns at Jordan Hare.

It took a 4th and 31 for Alabama to escape the same venue by a [unt cay] hair one week later.

Alabama is king of the least impressive SEC I can remember in the last 20 years. The conference sucked this year.

Texas whipped their ass in Tuscaloosa, and was far more dominant on the field today. And FSU, Washington, and Michigan are all unblemished.

The SEC would only be getting into this playoff by climbing on the backs of all the great SEC teams from years past. The 2023 SEC champ didn’t earn a playoff berth.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If Bama and UGA both get left out, which I fully expect, then Finebaum is going to be some must see TV on Monday.

IP likes this.
  12. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

The committee actually does have an out with Bama. They were #8 going in and they couldn’t move them ahead of teams that also won today, i.e. Texas and FSU

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Arguing excuses while making up a hypothetical. This is the shit the committee rankings were made to stop because this is not relating to on the field results.

NashVol11 likes this.
  14. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I encourage all of you to get on college football reddit and watch the bama losers melt as the rest of the community agree fsu should get in. Delicious.

IP likes this.
  15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Texas is just a really inconvenient problem for Bama. Any other 1-loss team and maybe you'd have a case. As it stands, it's kind of a non-starter for me.

I don't really know that Michigan or FSU did enough to prove they belong there, but the conference system is inherently insular and limits cross-comparison. I think the computers like the Big 10, but I think it's just a question mark. ACC seems weak, but I think it's good for undefeated P5 conference champs to make it.

If people think the SEC is down, Bama (lost) and Georgia (dodged) had the opportunity to change that and didn't, so they can wear it and can't blame anyone else.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  16. Volsdude

The right decision is clearly Michigan, washington, Texas, FSU. Whatever order you want them in.

gcbvol, Memtownvol, SetVol13 and 2 others like this.
  17. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Totally different offense? That’s generous perspective. I’d call it more like Hugh knew he couldn’t pass at all so he went single wing with a scrawny white QB. If Alabama was star spangled awesome that shit wouldn’t have worked at all.

18. Volsdude

Other P5 teams had a winning record against the SEC this year. Alabama needed a miracle to beat a team who lost by 3 tuddies to New Mexico State a week prior. They barely beat a dogshit Arkansas team. And then they knock off a Georgia team who ate cupcakes all season and expect to be let in? No chance. You got spanked at home by Texas. Week 1, week 10, week 50 who cares. You played the game already. You lost. You suck. Go home. Cry all the way. I’m just so excited to watch the full implosion tomorrow.

Edit: meant P5 opponents

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Vegas favors Texas and FSU over Bama for the spots, fwiw

IP, VolDad, gcbvol and 3 others like this.
  20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Guys I've softened my stance after looking at the facts

Over the last half of the season, in addition to the Georgia win, it has come to my attention that Alabama gutted out two close wins against Auburn and Arkansas. These are the same Auburn and Arkansas teams that went toe to toe with perennial powerhouse Alabama. Impressive stuff.

Bama clearly in over Florida St who merely had wins over two bottom feeding SEC teams who both lost to, you guessed it, an ACC team and #15 Louisville who lost to Kentucky

PilotFlyingJ, IP, JT5 and 1 other person like this.