First time going abroad

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My professor is keeping us up when we get there. We have a few things scheduled right after we hit the ground. I plan to try to sleep some on the plane. I usually don't sleep very much anyway, so hopefully it won't be much of a problem.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here, let me hook you up:

The thread title is "First time going abroad", I was (again) hinting at the many questions surrounding your not-so-latent sexuality, and the exceedingly greater extents that you go to in order to maintain even a modicum of plausible deniability, by reading it as:

"First time going A (space) Broad"

See what I did there, now, putz?

It does rob me of a substantial portion of my joy in insulting you when I have to explain it like this.

TIFWIW.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And I simply meant that coincidentally that my wedding night was also the last night I went abroad.

You Butt pirate.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, there goes the last of what little deniability you had left.

Congrats?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I walked around with an american wallet for 3 weeks with no problem. it's just like any other big city. pay attention and you will be fine.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i stayed up till night. had dinner and drank a bottle of wine and slept great the first night. second night was tough. third and after was fine. it's going back that was terrible.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hmm okay. I may consider just carrying a little cash and my debit card in the front pocket of my jeans.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Exactly. Put the rest in your hotel safe. I'd carry my drivers license for some sort of id, but not my passport. of course all the hotel people have keys to your safe anyway, but i imagine it still should be safer.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Our professor has been over there quite a bit. He actually just spent an entire year over there writing a book over the past year. I assume he has chosen hotels where he trusts our possessions will be safe. So debit card, drivers license, cash.. sounds good.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my other tip is to get cell service overseas. you can cancel it immedaitely after you get back. i used google maps constantly. found a spectacular restuarant steps from the vatican that way. very resonably priced.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

full disclosure: that was my inspiration. I can't wait to explore the Villa Auditore.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah, Romania and Haiti both were.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

don't get too caught up in going with the group. your best memories will be walking random streets and sitting outside at a bar and people watching.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Mine too. I'm an AC nerd. No worries.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The world travelers and finance gurus would know way better than I, but a credit card would trump a debit card. Debit card charges can't be reversed or stopped, (at least mine can't), but only petitioned for fraud.

General idea is if the card leaves your hand, use a credit card.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i assumed his debit card was also a credit card. yes use a credit card for everything. you get the best exchange rates that way. you can always google your credit card companies overseas rates. i primarily used my american express card and it got a great rate and was accepted pretty much anywhere (more so than here actually).

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As in use the debit card as a credit card? When I make purchases, it often gives me the choice of debit or credit. I think that is what you are talking about.

Droski - I have a dumb phone... lol I can't get google maps.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sweet jesus. it's 2012 man.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My parents put me on their plan and offered to pay for my phone bill when I got my first phone. I have been on there ever since. They don't want to pay the extra money to upgrade to a smart phone plan, so I can't get one. I have strongly considered getting my own plan, but it just isn't worth it to me to pay all that extra when I'm paying nothing now. I will probably look into it after I graduate.