First time going abroad

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Hostel 1 to direct to video?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Haven't been to Europe, but do you need a 220-110 converter in Italy? I'm sure Indy will need to blow-dry his hair or something.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

make sure you call your card company to let them know you will be abroad and where. Otherwise the card won't work. Takes like 3 minutes.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Definitely need a converter, not sure what kind.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Got both of these taken care of earlier in the week.

I'm not typically the type to really plan stuff out, but I felt like I had to with this trip.

6. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Carry a couple of doses of penicillin with you

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Everyone in Italy is essentially a kicker, with their affinity for soccer and all. So if you end up getting in a fight you're totally screwed.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Men love manpurses in italy. Also they enjoy wearing tshirts with names of southern california beaches on them. I kid you not. It's like 90% of the male population. I seriously considered buying an extra suitcase the next time i went, filling it with $5 t shirts from venice beach, and reselling them at $30 a pop in italy. Oh and the women enjoy wearing boots that have no backs.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bravo

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Ha.

Marriage does something funny to vagina. It makes it wither up and die.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Don't applaud him for that weak attempt. Johnny already made a kicker reference.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Good advice from Dr. Dre - "...Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex..."

(he is a doctor after all)

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He pretty much lifted what I said word-for-word. Sorry I didn't get one of the damned bloodsucking lawyers in here to trademark it first.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

As far as the jet lag effects I've had varying experiences when I've been to Europe. I think a lot of it depends on timing. I do recommend soldiering through it on arrival and trying to stay up until bedtime local time. Upon return, my first trip, it seemed like it took a week to get back to Eastern Time, but subsequent trips weren't as dramatic.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just didn't want him to get credit for your work. lol

And I don't have a choice in the matter as far as staying up goes. We have a schedule we have to stick to.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

They actually call it calcio. One of the few that doesn't go with some variety of football.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Son of a [itch bay], I didn't even notice. I retract my statement and give full credit to JQQ.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

All is forgiven. Making fun of Indy is an honorable goal.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Good news guys (unless your name is LawVol)! Didn't get my pocket picked while in Rome, and we even road the bus known as the "pickpocket bus" a few times. Bus 64, if I remember correctly.

In other news, I prayed in a number of big important churches that Gruden would be hired as our next HC within the next week or two, so it's obviously going to happen now. You're welcome.

20. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

I've been to Italy and compared to where I live now (Brazil) it's completely safe. Like everyone has said, most shop keepers will speak English with you. And to reiterate, use common sense of course when walking around. pay attention to how people dress and dress accordingly. I keep my wallet in my back pocket and have had no problems. When i go to soccer games here I put my wallet in one of my front pockets. Wearing your wallet around your neck will just call attention to you imo.

Be aware that you will stick out already, but speaking in english very loudly in crowded areas will call even more attention to yourself. Italy is freaking awesome....have a great time.

Also, have an idea of basic phrases too

where is ...-the hotel, bathroom, taxi, etc
    how much does this cost
    if buying clothes know the name of articlesof clothing and how to say the sizes
    know the names of the foods so when ordering or looking at a menu you know what you are getting.