Butch Jones is a solid hire.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Well bigpapa we were working with an old projection tv. Now we have a LCD coach maybe I would say plasma but not 3d. Don't forget however our facilities are top notch plasma 3d with the best speakers. He is hiring some solid coaches and recruiters. We do not have the DC of the future yet. I think we may go this season without him. Jancek has already said he does not need the title. I think we are going with a bunch of solid d coaches and a committee based DC. IDK who will be calling plays. But martinez is as solid as it gets as a secondary coach and recruiter. Stripling is solid of Michigan fame. Proof will be in the recruits they land. I will stand with you if they cannot land elite talent but at this point they have a lot going for them.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Committee DC? That would be a disaster.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

So I'm assuming conference championships don't count as a ****ing thing in your book?

4. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It is what Saban does at Bama. One guy in charge on gameday. But they scheme together.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

What I was thinking. I'm not overly impressed with what he's done but he did it.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ha. I think the term "together" means Saban talks and the others do as they're told.

7. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

More like a senior partner at a law firm. Smart and team make plan together and Saban reviews it.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Can we drop the Saban shit? None of Butch's guys deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Saban is more of a control freak than Dooley was, he just doesn't suck at controlling. He is heavily involved, particularly in the defense.

Those chumps are figuring out stats like how often UT goes to the screen on 3rd and 8, etc.

10. Tar Volon

Agreed. For reference, outright conference championships by SEC coaches who formerly coached in non-BCS conferences:

Nick Saban: 0 in 1 year (1 co-championship)
    Gary Pinkel: 1 in 10 years (2 losses in MACCG, both to Marshall)
    Kevin Sumlin: 0 in 4 years (2 losses in CUSACG, one to ECU and one to USM)
    Hugh Freeze: 1 in 1 year (not counting NAIA, which is also non-BCS but in a very different way)
    Gus Malzahn: 1 in 1 year
    Butch Jones: 2 in 3 years

11. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

I think the smart thing to do here is, guys,let's stop [itch bay]ing at each other and try the wait and see approach. I know those guys over a feels like 98 are sucking jones ***k and I know there are guys that aren't really happy and let people know it ,like myself. Just can't stand that people are so gullible and willing to give in. It's kinda like your joining a cult.Drinking the koolaid to early if you ask me. If this guy pans out in which I do not think he will then I will be man enough say you were right and I am a dumb***. If not I will say I told you so. In other words Wait and See.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Tar,
    Your analogy breaks down when it fails to realize the requisite difficulty of winning each conference. Winning a Big East title does not equate to winning one in the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, or even the ACC.

Case in point: Cincy won the Big East last season. Where would that same team have ranked in the SEC? Maybe better than Auburn, TN (who beat them), KY, and Ole miss. That's 9th in the SEC.

The second mistake being made here is that those advocating for Jones are falling for the ol' "he's-the-coach-and-so-we-have-to-justify-how-good-he-can-become". The reality is that no one had made a single argument that he was the best coach for the job before he was named, or even attempted it (IIRC). For those few who's list he even made, it was only at the very bottom, below many, many other names.

I'm sorry, but to now try to argue that he is somehow suitable, or even marginally promising, simply because he now has a "T" on his lapel requires an intellectual dishonesty - or wishful delusion - that both myself and many others are simply not wiling to agree to.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Butch is our coach and he has a ridiculous buyout. We will pretty much have to wait and see or wait and turn away when it comes to him and his teams.

But, what we don't have to do is act like we are OK with the position Hart/Cheek have put us in and the damage that was done by a botched coaching search.

What we need to do is not stop until every last person responsible for this mess is gone from the hill and folks that give a damn about Tennessee football and recognize that there can be a symbiotic relationship between academics and athletics are sitting in their chairs.

14. TennTradition

15. Tenacious D

I think that everyone, his staunchest critics included, have readily admitted that he'll be judged on production - but to look at the facts in front of you and to believe it to be more likely that he accomplishes it at a suitably consistent level, than not, can only be attributed to wishful thinking, plain and simple.

To believe otherwise is folly of the first order.

Might he do it? Absolutely.

Is it likely? Absolutely not.

16. robvols

robvols Member

And that is how you crush this get behind him movement.

17. TennTradition

I think he was referring to MAC titles because Butch never won outright the Big East. With that said, I do think championships mean something at any level. Your resources and talent tend to scale with your conference. My problem is that I do not believe this is the quality of coach you should hire when you have the resources of TN. It's like giving a high performance car to someone who can't take it over 60. It's freaking ridiculous.

18. Tar Volon

Tenny, I think you're overstating my conclusion here. I'm comparing like with like. Nothing in that post compared winning the Big East to the Pac-12 or the MAC to the SEC. I'm responding to a very specific comment by Unimane that Butch Jones hasn't won at the lower level and that people who don't win at the lower level won't win at the higher level. At least one part of that comment is false, and it's arguable that both are false.

This isn't an argument that Butch Jones is fantastic. This is me looking for comparables and reporting what I find. I had another thread yesterday where I listed every game a Butch Jones team played against a ranked team or a team from the ACC/Pac-12/SEC/Big 12/Big 10. These are just numbers. I leave the conclusions to you.

[For the record, my opinion has and will continue to be skepticism about his ability to win to Tennessee's standards. I think he will be an 8-4 coach, which will look promising for a couple years compared to Dooley and then will get frustrating when we realize he isn't winning championships. I do think there are a couple reasons to think I may be wrong, and he may be better, but they aren't strong enough to convince me as of yet]

19. Tenacious D

His body of work suggests that he can get it to 200mph in the right conditions, but it'll likely be as he clears the precipice of a deep and dark cliff.

20. robvols

robvols Member

What I want to know is who de-8th Maxim the OP? The most logical way to do that is fitting in with the Vol pages Facebook crowd.