Butch Jones is a solid hire.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

We are about to witness real coaching. And a coach the players love. This will be special. I have done my due diligence and have discovered he may be better then a Strong hire.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm as disappointed as anybody but I'm at least gonna give the guy a chance. Nothing else to do.

3. UTgrad11

UTgrad11 New Member

Elaborate. I am not as down on him as others but I would def prefer Strong. I think we will suffer on the LOS with him.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

What about him do you think is better than Strong?

Strong is about 1000% more proven as a recruiter, and Strong did have a better record in both of their third years with the respective programs.

(this isn't a callout for being an idiot, btw, it's a legitimate request for discussion. We've had about 10,000 threads giving reasons to expect failure, so I want the reasons I should expect success)

5. WM

WM Active Member

Yeah Jewb, lay out your research in this matter itt.

6. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Proof, Sources sir.......... Poor mans RR is a JOKE HIRE!.......No matzo ball soup for you!

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't hate the guy yet, but I'm not ready to shout his greatness from the hilltops. What led to this conclusion?

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The only endorsement I can give at the moment is he seems to actually love the game of football. That puts him above DD already.

9. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I preferred Strong for recruiting reasons. However, guess who out recruited Strong? Butch Jones. Guess who has a history of developing a strong running game and runs the ball 60% of the time. Butch Jones. Guess whose staff loves him and follows him wherever he goes. Butch jones. Guess who has won 4 championships in six years. Butch Jones. His players congratulated him and gave him a standing ovation when he told them he was leaving. They genuinely love him and are happy for him. We are in good hands.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Last sentence is funny. I don't know why, but it makes me chuckle.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, okay. I'll be happy to congratulate your maybe being right after beating UF or bammer. When he beats them both in the same season, I'm on board.

12. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Jones doesn't call his offense the spread. He calls it a pro style and I'm sure he will sell the fact that in 2011, Pead had 1259 yards rushing and this year Winn had 1204 yards. In 2011 as a team they rushed for 2397 and in 2010 they rushed for 2321.

In 2011, Cincy had 500 rushing attempts and 392 passing attempts. In 2012, Cincy had 464 rushes and 346 passing.

In contrast, Tennessee in 2011 rushed for 1081 yards on 392 attempts and they had 400 passing attemps. In 2012, Tennessee rushed for 1924 yards on 413 rushing attempts and had 477 passing attempts.

So the last two seasons, Cincy has rushed for 4718 yards on 964 attempts (4.8 yards an attempt). Tennessee the last two seasons, has rushed for 3005 yards on 805 attempts (3.7 yards an attempt).

13. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

That's the horse crap they were peddling at the presser! This is not looking good for you.....he's just a back up player on a pickup game! Nothing more and nothing less....he"s a guy you may call to fill in if your main guy is sick! Its only because he follows directions!

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hubbs, I mean Jewbacah, good stats.

15. govols74n

govols74n New Member

Last sentence is funny. I don't know why, but it makes me chuckle.

It is a little funny if you look at it from that perspective.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

And your point is anyone can run on a team that has no D............. This joke was in the Big East!

17. WM

WM Active Member

Good lord, you just c/p that from a feelslike98 thread. shoo wee.

18. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The Bearcats were one of the most improved defenses in the nation in 2011, leading the NCAA FBS in tackles for a loss (8.62), ranking second in sacks (3.46), sixth in rushing defense (96.23) and 20th in scoring defense (20.31).

UC led the BIG EAST and ranked ninth nationally in turnover margin (0.92) while the Bearcats' 33 turnovers gained was tied for fourth nationally. Individually, the Bearcats defense was paced by BIG EAST Conference Co-Defensive Player of the Year and All-American Derek Wolfe and First-Team All-BIG EAST selections Drew Frey and JK Schaffer.

19. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Correct. And will continue to be cp bandit.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The North remembers.