Biggest Phony In UT History.

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by NashVol11, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Or public hanging amongst Fowler's trailer park frenzy mentality.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The Hart and Cheek duo

3. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

But he tweets about Alcoa beating up on nobodies and claims they play chess rather than checkers.

4. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

In all seriousness, Precious would win my vote.

5. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

Potential Future Candidate: CBJ

6. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I just don't see how that makes someone any less phony as a person. I don't think it really has much at all to do with success.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

We must be looking at the meaning differently. To me, a big part of it is the persona of being a coach that can build a winner. Buzz and Raleigh fell squarely on their faces. Dooley was about 6 kinds of phony. Pearl's flaws were mostly of a sanctimonious, "above the rest" variety while actively bending/breaking rules and recruiting people that did not represent university athletics well (Ramar Smith).

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree that being a phony isn't really about how well a coach does. Dooley's a loser and an ass, but I certainly don't consider him a phony like Pearl.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

So are we talking about a hypocrisy factor, here? If so, Pearl has got to be the leader.

10. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Pearl and Dooley get to share the title.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If we are talking pure phony, it's Pearl or Dooley. People forget the "aw shucks" thing Dooley tried to play at first and how he wanted to build a program the "right way".

Mike Hamilton would be in the discussion according to some.

12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Depending on how we are defining 'phony' and if we're limiting to just the big 3 (men's sports)?

Some names not yet mentioned...
    Kevin O'Neill
    Mark Conner

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

For me, it's [ddiapos].

He talked about hard work yet didn't bother recruiting last year, he talked about character although he recruited a known thief in Deion Bonner. He said he was for the kids while screwing Aaron Douglas and Deanthony Arnett on their transfers, he said he did things like Nick Saban while coaching like Nike Nolte. He bought a ****ing dog from Old Time Pottery and painted it orange, **** him.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Kevin O'Neill might have benefited from being slightly more phony.

15. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Aside from his Marquette days what has he done as a HC --- Collegiate or NBA level? Granted Houston left the cubbard bare but O'Neill's not HC material, that's why I included him.
    That said, there are definitely better, more qualified choices (already mentioned) to fill 'Biggest Phony' --- mine would be Baseball = *Raleigh, Basketball = *Peterson, & Football = *DD *Modern day/post internet

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree that he sucks. A nicer demeanor may have endeared him to the fanbase a little longer though.

17. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

When did KO advertise himself to be something he was not? I think he is about as far from a phoney as it gets.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agree

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The absence of Rod Delmonico from this discussion to this point is disappointing. Not sure I've ever seen a human being go to such pains to try and pass himself off as someone he's not.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

unsuccessful doesn't necessarily equal phoney, people