Biggest Phony In UT History.

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by NashVol11, Feb 28, 2013.

1. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Was Tony bragging about bagging a fat chick @ the Merchants Dr Applebees?

2. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

rumors he went the other way

3. VIF

VIF New Member

I read through this and cannot believe there was no mention of the mattress fire causing, hillbilly hatin', look at me I put on an orange tie Ultimate Southern Caliphony Lame Kiffony. How soon we forget. Sad.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Did anybody really believe Kiffin was anything but a mercenary?

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Kiffin was far from being phony weather people like him or not. He didn't pretend to embrace traditions he cared nothing about such as the maxims. There is a reason he brought so much USC to Knoxville because he wasn't phony.

6. VIF

VIF New Member

I can't take anything you say seriously if you cannot spell "whether" correctly. Plus you are stating opinions as if they were fact. Laughable. He put on an orange tie, called himself head coach of the University of Tennessee and ran through the T. I'd say this refutes your entire post.
    pho·ny/ˈfoʊni/ Show Spelled [foh-nee] Show IPA adjective, pho·ni·er, pho·ni·est, noun, plural pho·nies, verb, pho·nied, pho·ny·ing.
    adjective
    1. not real or genuine; fake; counterfeit:
    2. false or deceiving; not truthful; concocted:
    3. insincere or deceitful;

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He put on an orange tie and ran through the T because he was handsomely paid to do so. He never said he'd be here forever and I think most of us understood it wouldn't be that way. I was thinking a lot more like five years, but always knew he wasn't here for the long haul.

I don't think it was in Butch Jones's contract that he publicly refer to Tennessee, a school with which he had zero connection prior to be hired, as his "dream job".

8. VIF

VIF New Member

Correct. He (Kiffin) never said "I'll only be here one year, and destroy your reputation as a serious football program" either. If you believe CBJ meant Tennessee and not any big time program, as his dream job, then you make me laugh with your naivete`.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd say lane's biggest problem is the fact he isn't a phony. if he could learn to not say what he thinks all the time, actually smile every once in a while, and kiss some ass he'd be in a lot better shape today than he is.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It doesn't surprise me that people didn't see it. I said the day he was hired he would be here 5 years, stock up talent, win an SECCG and go off to the NFL.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Please. We destroyed our reputation by hiring the worst coach in SEC history and letting him hang around for three years.

He was asked how long Tennessee has been his dream job and he responded as if there was no generalization, rather than correcting the interrogator. I obviously don't believe Tennessee is his dream job, hence the reason I brought it up in a thread dedicated to phonies. If you've watched Jones this off-season and don't believe he'd say UT is his dream job to garner support, you might want to reevaluate your thoughts on naivete.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is 100% correct. You can't say he has a filter.

I still like how flustered he had Urban Meyer while he was here.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only thing Kiffin destroyed was the fanbase's backwards thinking in regards to coaches and loyalty.

14. VIF

VIF New Member

100% correct. I thought along the same lines. I was disappointed in the hire because of it. I guess it was my female intuition, I did not like his eyes. Shifty and barren.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That, for better or worse, is the current landscape of college football. Head coaches are mercenaries. The only reason I think Saban will never leave Bama is because he knows how well he has it there. It has nothing to do with the actual school, it has to do only with himself.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife, who is a usc fan, can't stand his interviews. it's like he doesn't give a crap at all. chip kelly had a similar attitude, but at least he was interesting. kiffin's interviews put you to sleep.

17. vol445

vol445 Member

Zook by a long shot

18. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

While that may be true, it was reported before we hired him that he fell in love with everything about the school when we played them in '11.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Thanks for bringing the misspelling to my attention, not sure why that's enough to not take me serious though. My point was being phony and being disliked are two different things. I hate how it went down when he left but that doesn't make him phony at all. If he went around saying "gee, I really hate to leave for USC because I'm VFL", now that would be phony.

20. VIF

VIF New Member

Sorry, I get carried away with spelling. Anyway, I was just giving you a hard time. In actuality, all coaches have to be a little phony or they would all only coach at their Alma Maters. You can't blame someone for taking a sweet gig with a fat pay day. I can't say I would not do the same, given the right circumstances.