Preaseason press conference at 11 a.m. today

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Vols kick balls, Jul 31, 2013.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Could that be a product of coaching? Conversely, could players (or units) getting worse be a product of coaching?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Some do. If you had to put something that matters on this player, prior to seeing if he improved or not, how would you lean?

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Of course. That's another reason why its possible that Palardy may kick well with a new coach and new confidence. We'll see.

4. limpleg

on Palardy? I would put a little on him improving greatly, but I would put much more on him missing one and going into never never land.

5. fl0at_

That is the same thing being said of Martinez. Except that the "little" went to coaching. The "much more" went to recruiting.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not defending either side of this argument (with this comment) but a kicker is a wholly different animal. Not sure that's quite analogous.

7. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

The four years before that, they were terrible, no? Seems more like a scheme issue to me.

8. fl0at_

It isn't the comparison of the individual, just the comparison of trends.

9. limpleg

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

11. limpleg

We'll see. I just hope we have time to get a team that is solid up front and at the skill positions. We are solid this year, but weak at cb, wr, rb and cb. We'll be better at all 4 next year, by leaps and bounds, but will be decimated in the front. I don't see him making a good run until at least year 3, but will need to play well and when some games he isn't supposed to to keep fans interested, and not lose ones he is supposed to win.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

So he is just terribly unlucky that he continues to inherit DBs that are mired in a bad scheme?

13. limpleg

It will play out one way or another. He will be either coach well or he won't and we'll be able to see it on the field.
    But, just for the sake of the point, I believe his first year D at OK was 8th in passing D in the country, and they led the league in scoring D. You guys seem to skip those types of years and just focus on the next one, when he had to replace an NFL safety and they obviously had a drop off in other areas.

14. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

DC calls the plays, and players execute. Coaches can only do so much until its out of their hands. He may be a total flop, or he may have a good secondary in a couple of years. As long as we aren't as bad as last year on defense, I don't care who is coaching really.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you are right at least he didn't torpedo the program the first year he was there like butch did at Cinci.

16. limpleg

It's news to me that he destroyed/sank/wrecked Cincy's program

17. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I cannot believe we are still arguing the point about Martinez being a bad coach or not. Mostly everyone here is prescribing to the belief that he will not succeed because of his past track record (being fired 3 times in the past 4-5 years is not good.) However, if you want to believe that there is some sort of magic with Butch Jones and he will be better, than that's you're prerogative. Just don't expect us to buy in to that particular philosophy. He was brought in to recruit, in spite of his coaching ability. That has been stated numerous times.

Look at this way: You are just hired as a sales manager for a struggling company. You and your current staff know of a dynamite sales person, one who can really bring in the numbers and has done it everywhere he's been. However, you also know that in the past 4 years, he's been with 3 companies, and was fired from all 3 for violating the sexual conduct policy. Hiring him is a risk, but one you are willing to take based on the current situation/short-term, knowing full well that with his character/integrity, he's not going to be around for the long-term. You need a shot in the arm, someone who will go out and get what you need, and when the situation mandates it, you will cut him loose. However, you will still have the new sales he brought in, and you can replace him with someone more stable.

This happens all the time in the business and coaching world. To believe that Martinez's habits or coaching will improve under Jones, yet did not under Richt or Stoops, is just hoping against hope, in my opinion. We believe that his track record of getting fired shows that he will get fired here. I'm not saying the DB's won't improve, but I'm not expecting it, either.

18. limpleg

the style of management you mention in your second paragraph is what runs companies into the ground, and I don't think Butch hired him while planning on firing him asap anyway. I would never hire someone in a sales aspect for the short term, unless I was planning on using it as a platform to make a jump somewhere else. Maybe I just give people more chances. I have 14 reps now and haven't had anyone leave in 4 years. 5 of them had experience. If I would have made my decisions solely on their resumes or for the short term, none of them would have been hired and my business would already be in the ground.

jmo and we will all see anyway. I understand that people don't think he is a good coach. I just think it's debatable, with points made in each direction of the debate. Otherwise known in these parts as objective.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Butch has 4 years to prove that he can win here. He has no talent, and his biggest hurdle is getting talent here and fast.

X's and O's aren't what wins at this level. Getting talent and putting them into position and getting them to play hard is what wins.

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Butch has a sleeping giant as his disposal, no doubt.