Preaseason press conference at 11 a.m. today

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Vols kick balls, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think that had more to do with him as a DC.

I completely agree with you guys that he isn't very good, but lucky for us a DB coach is just a little more than a glorified recruiter in a 43 defense. Larry Slade was actually one of the lone individuals who could screw that job up. So, unless Martinez manages to challenge the eye sight and football intellect of the fanbase, like Slade, I think all issues we have with DBs will be the fault of Janceck having them poorly set up to defend the pass.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Please explain.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

4-8 with a bunch of returning talent off of a team that won 11 games the year before and 10 games the year before that.

4. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

you can't be DC and db coach at the same time. I think he was at Ga? If so, I can't believe Richt did that, and Martinez should have known he couldn't do both. That seems to be when he started having issues. He had a good track record and reputation as a db position coach until he became dc.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Remind me again who the co-defensive coordinator with Martinez was when he got fired.

6. hatvol96

Richt agreed and got Martinez help by hiring Jancek. That worked so well that they both got fired.

7. hatvol96

Mike Stoops won a national title coaching defensive backs while also being a coordinator. Chavis did the same coaching linebackers. A more accurate assessment would be that Willie Martinez wasn't competent to do it.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm with you and totally agree. My only point was in regards to Martinez being a liability and how him being a DB coach isn't as hard of a blow as him being DC.

9. limpleg

obviously not. But if it was a good idea, more teams would be doing it, rather than just a couple of exceptions.

10. hatvol96

How many guys did you hire that had been fired three times in four years and were detested by their former employers' clients?

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I never will forget when Vegas's opening line for a 2-3 Tennessee vs 5-1 UGA game in '09 opened with Tennessee at -6. When Vegas is hedging its bets on a lack of competence of a DC when they are squaring off against a QB whose ineptness cost his team 2 out of its first 5 games, maybe coaching isn't your thing.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Being objective means only looking at facts. Period. It doesn't mean being equal parts positive and negative. The facts flat out do not back up your assertions.

As for this 8th in the nation stat you keep throwing out. In what category? It wasn't passing yards allowed per game.

13. limpleg

Correct. All the facts, not just the ones we choose. And I think it was pass efficiency, whatever goes into that. It doesn't sound like a bad season though. Conference championship and highly ranked in a D passing category.

14. hatvol96

Look at the numbers in '09. The improvement in '10 was miniscule. The collapse from '10 to '11, on the other hand, was massive.

15. limpleg

Replacing an nfl safety and team leader had to play a part in the change as well. I also seem to remember the death of an lb, but it may not have been in 2011 season. At any rate, I'm not saying he coached well in the 2nd season, but a lot goes into having success or lack thereof. If aj Johnson were to die this year, I don't know how the team would respond.

16. hatvol96

So, Austin Box overdosing was the reason OU's secondary couldn't cover the high school sophistication combination routes Texas Tech was running. Makes perfect sense. Willie Martinez couldn't be expected to overcome that.

17. hatvol96

I'm also not sure anyone has ever thought leadership was one of Quinton Carter's long suits.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Glad you got all of that from a post on how piss pitiful the secondary looked last year. I'll give you my opinion in a nutshell. Martinez is good recruiter, and talent is needed as bad a coaching at this point. If the secondary performs well, I don't care who the coach is, but Martinez hasn't shown himself to be a great coach in the past. It's fair to judge a coach at least at first based on prior performance. If Dooley didn't prove that to you, I doubt you're able to be helped.

19. limpleg

Not what I said. Do you not think it could be a factor for the whole defensive team? How could you think it possible that it couldn't?

And I said a factor, not the factor.

20. hatvol96

If Box had been a great player, maybe. OU has guys as good or better than him up and down the roster every year.