WNML / HH Practice Report (9/18, 7:30am)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

In all seriousness, this pisses me off. This is just spotting them 2-3 TDs.

2. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

I would like to see us use our strength on offense, the OL.
    Less pass blocking for inept passes from whomever, more run blocking to wear down the defense.
    If those guys are really pre-NFL and meet the hype, we need to use them more.
    Then we would have fewer times to gripe about Worley.

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

If we don't have at least 7 after two possessions, he will sub.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Apparently, Butch talked up Peterman during volcalls.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

What a wasted scheme. If they had watched any films they would have seen that Worley hasn't cleanly gotten a pass off to him all season.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If Worley even starts I will change my opinion of Butch from being optimistic to decisive that we have hired a staff of clueless shits.

7. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I didn't realize that Worley has had the green light to keep on the read option. Always assumed the coaches just told him to always hand off.

8. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

Exactly. It's a bad idea.

I accepted that they had to start the season with him, to 'give him a chance to show he deserves the job'.

He got that chance. He didn't show us that he deserves it.

If I see him coming out on the field in the first quarter against UF, I will also start having doubts about this staff.

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'm with the crowd that thinks Worley starts. I think he's on a short leash though. I think we see Peterman off the bench first. 50/50 on whether a freshman gets in there. Think it depends on how the game goes.

Again, this is what I feel will happen not necessarily what I want to happen.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I feel like this approach of musical QBs is going to cost us our best chance at a win against the big 4 on our schedule.

11. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

With every day that passes, I'm beginning to question the approach more and more as well. Mostly because if we don't have the Butch's future QB on campus, why the hell don't we have one committed yet?

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If Worley starts, but he's on such a short leash that...

1. We have to have 7 points after two possessions, or
    2. Peterman is coming in at "x" (pre-appointed) time, or
    3. Worley won't be asked / allowed to throw the ball

Then he has zero business starting, and this staff will deserve very ounce of shit that doing so will cause to occur. Whether they do it from a standpoint of incompetence, misplaced loyalty or pure stubbornness, the end result is the same.

I'm simply unwilling to engage in this sort of "Texas sharshooter" apologetics where the staff is perceived to have some super-secret or higher reason for his continuing to play. Both they and those who defend them could get away with this "trust us" mentality in the spring and fall camps (and pretty much everyone did defer to their judgment when Worley was named the starter before Week 1, myself included) - because Worley was largely hidden, and it was possible that he might not be as horrible as we recall from the last time we saw him.

But we've now got not one, not two, but THREE games of seeing him under the lights against a live action opponent, and that his ineptitude has reset the bar for sucking and sheer incompetence is so obvious as to be self-evident and inarguably true.

It's not just a disagreeable position that he should start in Gainesville - its an utterly indefensible and idiotic one, regardless as to whether its being posed by Jones, his staff or those here who have somehow abandoned their own intellectual honesty by choosing to believe (and defend!) such stupidity, even while making liars out of their own eyes in order to do so.

Barring catostrophic injuries to no less than five (5) QB's - if Worley trots out onto Florida field, its a galling and glaring mistake.

Period.

Come at me, you kool-aid IV wearing dumbasses. Fools - the lot of you.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Ditto

14. Tenacious D

Read this post, again, Card.

If this is true, do you see how utterly stupid, senseless and half-assed this is?

And also if true - this staff is not only way in over its head in the SEC, but likely in many others as well, liking ass-wiping after shitting, shoe-tying, pants-wearing, etc.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, I'm tired of all the "your gonna ruin his confidence" crap if you roll him out there too early. As Jon Ward said, "its time"!

Should have played the freshman some in the first two games. Plain and simple

16. Tenacious D

Its just this plain and simple.

It doesn't mean that Butch Jones "#getsit" any less, at all, or that he is an incompetent asshat - it just means he made a mistake.

But it is also true that it will become an error if he doesn't recognize and correct it - and that will be on him.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't fault him for giving Worley a chance. The guy deserved it. I do think Ferguson and/or Dobbs should have gotten some on field work against APSU and Oregon, once it got out of hand. But now we'll end up seeing a true freshman in the swamp (if I had to guess) and Butch will ride him the rest of the year.

What better way to sell the future than to have a nearly entire freshman and sophomore lineup on the field?

18. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

If he is going to hold the offensive end of his recruiting class together, a QB on this team will eventually have to prove an ability to complete passes further than 15 yards down field.

19. Tenacious D

This, JG.

That's all I'm asking for - a little honesty that he erred in not getting some freshmen reps against two shit teams at home, that his hand has now been forced and he's going to have to give them their first shot in the infinitely-less-than-ideal Swamp, instead.

It doesn't mean anything more than that, or at least it doesn't have to or even to me. Its just a mistake, and which even the greatest coaches are known to make.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think decisions have already been made and all you are seeing now is coach-speak and a little gamesmanship so Florida doesn't have a clue what to prepare for.

Worley may (probably) will start, but I expect to see Ferguson in by the end of the first quarter.

As I have said over, and over, and over, and over, if we weren't breaking in three new receivers as well, you would have probably already seen the freshmen.

However, I am enjoying the emotionally fueled VN/VQ/govolsxtra-esque meltdown of this site in regards to this issue, just on the other side of the spectrum.