WNML / HH Practice Report (9/18, 7:30am)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Even as a placeholder, Worley has failed. I am disgusted by the thought of him continuing to start games at this university. Butch, please do not start him. I hate it for the guy, but he sucks as an SEC QB. Lets not forget that he hasn't only started the 59-14 public castration at the hands of Oregon. He also started the 49-7 humiliation at Arkansas. I've seen enough.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

But I'm not going to undo the very parameters of logic and common sense to argue that it wasn't a mistake, or that it doesn't warrant immediate correction.

That is, unlike others here, who can't seem to either grasp or admit that, for any number of stupid reasons.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, especially if they want to finish on Malone

4. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Then why start him at all? To spot Florida the Vegas spread in the first five minutes?

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Oh, it's got to be corrected if they want to make it bowl eligible, as well as not lay a crack in the foundation of some bricks. One of two things happened, IMO.

1. They underestimated how awful Worley would look in games.
    2. They made the decision that one of the freshmen QBs was the guy and have been waiting until he was ready to play him.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here's where your theory on breaking in new WR's breaks down -

Were we to have had Randy Moss on one side, Jerry Rice on the other and Welker working the slot - IT WOULDN'T HAVE MADE ONE SHIT OF DIFFERENCE BECAUSE WORLEY CAN'T THROW IT WITHIN SEVERAL FEET OF ANYONE WHO WAS OUT THERE.

The ol' young QB / young WR argument makes some theoretical sense, but when your QB (Worley) is supposed to be the steadying influence in that equation (as the older and more experienced player...that is why he's starting, right?) and he can't even get his shit straight, then what are you trying to prepare the WR's for, at that point?

How not to catch balls thrown 12 feet over your head / on a two-bounce hop / in row 28?

I'm not multi-million dollar coach with my own tshirts and all, but when your QB can't THROW THE BALL - that's something that I think you might want to check into fixing. And you should also stop using "young WR's" as an excuse for not doing so long before now. Because that's both meaningless and irrelevant.

The reality is that the staff played it safe in choosing Worley to start, and instead of simply seeing what was so glaringly obvious to anyone watching the WKU game, they just continued to sit and watch it unfold, and now they are in a much tougher spot because of it.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Amen.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Lou Holtz agreed with me...

9. CardinalVol

How are they in a tougher spot?

They are still 2-1, which is exactly where they would be if Manning was your QB. This team is likely going to be 3-5 going into November regardless of who is taking snaps.

I haven't heard one negative word from a recruit or a player about how Butch has handled the QBs. The only "tough spot" he's in is that message board folks want him fired after three games because we lost a game we were going to lose anyway. The only way he gets into a "tough spot" is if he starts Worley Saturday, we get down 14 before we put in someone else, the offense suddenly shows signs of life, and we lose by 10 or less. That's it.

Of course, this doesn't even venture into the realm of reason that although Worley is God-awful, to this point he still may have been the best (least worst) option.

10. JayVols

Who here has said they wanted him fired? Now that assertion is closer to a VNesque comment you were referring to earlier than questioning the decision to trot out a QB that couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

11. BigOrangeBeech

Fire Butch!

12. CardinalVol

Serious doubts about coaching ability > he can't win here > fire him.

I don't feel like going through posts finding this.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Worley isn't the answer. He's Clausen the lesser without the attitude that made him somewhat serviceable at times.

If Dobbs or Ferguson is not ready or, as a part of some grand scheme, Jones isn't ready to play them, then let Peterman have the start. I'd rather see the first two series go to Peterman and be lost on a gamble that he's better in games than practice than sacrificed to what is obviously a lost cause.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Will he name a starter; or surprise us Saturday?

15. BigOrangeBeech

I firmly believe that butch will get us to winning 8-9 games consistently here. Can he break through and win 10-11 consistently Which means we are 1-2 in the east every year.... Im still at a wait and see.

I agree with TD, I think Butch made a mistake by not giving the freshman some snaps so far, but it doesn't
    Make or break him as a coach or make or break this season. He at least needs to take action at trying to fix it. I've seen enough of Worley to know that keeping
    Him in there is not an attempt to fix the problem.

16. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

Dammitalltohell, did I miss the interview on Ainge?

Not really.

Absolute certainty about horrible coaching ability > he can't win here > fire him.

Serious doubts about coaching ability > I'm starting to wonder if I was wrong about him > I hope he shows his stuff soon so I wont want UT to fire him

For me, I don't have SERIOUS doubts about his coaching ability...but If Worley trots out there on Saturday, I'll have the beginnings of some serious doubts.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agree

18. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Can we get a color-coded doubt chart ASAP?

19. JayVols

I don't advocate his firing at all. I do think it's legit to question some of the decisions. I don't pretend to know as much as Jones, but I do know at least a little. Perhaps we disagree, which is fine, but I think questioning the decision to continuously put lipstick on a pig. I think it's a pretty legit criticism that they haven't even attempted to get an honest look at other QBs in the gimmie games. Is it an isolated mistake or*the beginnings of a pattern? I don't know. We don't have enough to definitely answer that yet.

20. JayVols

Currently at threat level Tan.