WNML / HH Practice Report (9/18, 7:30am)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 18, 2013.

1. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

NooooooO!!!!!! Not tan!!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I'm with you to the extent that Butch had to make an honest effort to compete immediately. The seniors on this team should have the assurance that their head coach is doing everything he can to win THIS SEASON.

I also agree that the Oregon game was lost before kick off.

I'm trying to reconcile two things:
    1. Why don't we seem to be signing a QB next year
    2. Why didn't Peterman get the start in the second half of the Oregon game. Why not at least try to shake the offensive game plan up a bit why you are already down 31-7?

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Wait, WHAT?!?

4. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Lex, if you can read this, I agree with point 2 and thought we would/should have seen Peterman earlier. Maybe even the entire 2nd half.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I guess I am just privy to the bit of info that has told me over and over that Peterman is awful. I've not even considered him a possibility since I heard he was at best 3rd string on the "if push came to shove" depth chart this summer.

Now, you want to question the freshmen, I kind of get it. My stance from day 1 is that the staff has felt no need to rush them along and they would take the field when they were ready. I've never heard or considered the possibility of them redshirting, but I didn't expect them at all before South Alabama. My general stance is that this staff is trying to get to 6 wins, the gamble early on was WKU and they felt they could win with Worley. From Oregon through Bama, it really doesn't make a hill of beans difference who the QB is outside of Florida, we were going into November 3-5. (Let's face it, Florida has long been considered the most winnable of the Big 4, but how much did we really even consider it possible until their debacle at Miami?)

I'm also not a big fan of switching QBs on a whim. You might can do it at other positions, but it just doesn't work at QB. I'd much rather settle deal with one a week longer in a game we're likely to lose anyway than play musical QBs.

I think the freshmen will be there sooner rather than later, I think there has been a gameplan all along (it might have been moved up a week), and we as fans are very impatient and don't want to wait for the plan to unfold because deep down regardless of how logical we want to be, we're still fans who at this point want to go 13-1. :)

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Lex,

Allow me to add a #3....

3. Why do we not try to play towards our offensive strength, running the football.

Someone on here tried to make a case that we ran more than we threw against Oregon but are totally discounting that passed more than ran 2 X 1 during the first half when we were averaging nearly 5 yards a carry.

7. CardinalVol

See my above posts about point 1, but I'll grant you #2 just to shake things up. At that point, even if he's God-awful times two, it doesn't matter.

8. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I've never had an ignore list...and never will. Not my thing.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Is Khaki less intimidating for you? If so, feel free to consider them interchangeable terms.

10. CardinalVol

And that's not just on message boards either...............

11. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I understand that we hear what we hear. I know you are privy to a lot of practice info. You and I have discussed already, but my issue is with arm strength. I've yet to see Worley throw a pass over 30 yards that doesn't look like a punt. Furthermore, Peterman looked to have a pretty live arm, second string competition or not.

12. CardinalVol

I agree 100%. Although you are probably 1000x closer to getting the real scoops than me if you so chose. Nuke me if you want to if you know something else, as I know you can and would completely defer. :)

I think it's decision making, honestly. Worley's lack of arm strength plus decision making is still better than Peterman's arm strength plus lack of decision making. That just seems to be a running theme.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I understand. I'm just not a fan of sitting on your hands, which right or wrong, it seems to be what is happening. I'll never understand not giving the frosh snaps in garbage time if they've never intended to redshirt them. I've never thought Peterman was the answer either. That's why I question trotting him out during the aforementioned garbage times. The one thing he does bring is the hint of actual legitimacy to the read option. I hope they have a plan, and would like to believe they do. It just seems bassackwards to me at this point.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I agree with everything above but just wanted to say this and also point out that I've thought UF and SoCar were very winnable since the end of the spring.

Looking at the past 3 weeks, I believe that the staff knew going into the year that UF was winnable and wanted to go into Gainesville with an offense that is vastly different from one that they had shown in winnable games and a game against a better team. I also believe that this included the QB position.

I'm not saying that I agree with that line of thinking from our staff but I do believe that is the only way you can excuse a) the decision to play Worley AND b) the play selection and pace of our offense at Oregon.

15. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

The real issue is that Worley is killing us in the short passing game as well. He is making poor decisions, and one hopping them when he makes the right one. I counted three misreads in the first Q that cost us a chance at first down.

16. limpleg

Card and lex, its a mix of all the things mentioned, plus add that the staff can't believe how Worley plays when compared to practice. He is scared to death at gametime and they didn't see that coming. His arm already sucks and that makes it worse.

17. CardinalVol

It happens.

I also think Fergie may be a complete 180.

18. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I agree with the game time anxiety, but after three games of not managing it, it is time to give him a xanax and move to the next guy in line.

19. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

"Let's face it, Florida has long been considered the most winnable of the Big 4, but how much did we really even consider it possible until their debacle at Miami?"

Riff from the podcast called a UF win long before the Miami game, back when everyone was calling SC for the upset.

However, he backtracked a bit yesterday, saying his prediction is crapola if Worley starts.

20. limpleg

Some is expected at times and you assume once a play or two is run that it will pass, but it lingers and his back foot throws are not only from bad footwork but from being scared to step up and let it go. I correlate it to golf a little. If you aren't sure where the ball is going, you don't swing with confidence and the ball will go everywhere except where you want it the majority of the time. If you can't just block it out, get out there and swing with confidence, you will continue to suck.