Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Surely if it's the same thing that happened with Elway, he will see it again and make the necessary changes.

Despite the other turnovers, safety, nonexistent defense and KO return TD?

Keep backtracking. You're getting closer to the right answer.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

But it can't be easy to negotiate less than what the market will bear.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the biggest turd laid on the field by far was at qb.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

brady did it. look at my man Rodgers. his new salary is crippling the packers. no one to blame but himself for the lousy oline and defense. basically with this model you can't miss on the draft.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Exactly, same with Flacco. I believe egos win out but you'd think these guys would realize that their legacy is the rings not the dollars. Although, when a QB wins a super bowl with a stacked team we tend to give them less credit because they (presumably) didn't have to be as good.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Legacy pays no bills. When tax man and agents get finished, the numbers aren't that staggering.

Brady is one of the highest paid players in the league.

You know Manning's salary next season?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No chance. Both lines, secondary, receivers, returner, RBs then QB.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So Brady didn't just give the Pats a hometown discount, he signed a deal for less than half of what he's worth on the open market.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-less-money-contract-2013-2#ixzz2sJHhJYyy

I believe manning's salary is structured to drop next year.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But in a sport where your next play can easily be your last or even be a crippling play, and you can be cut (the contracts are not guaranteed), it would be dumb to do that.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

11. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I agree. I think there are seldom scenarios in which leaving money on the table is the prudent thing to do. With that being said I would imagine Peyton's situation before signing his contract (assuming it was with the Broncos) would be a situation where it's worth considering, given his previous salaries and endorsement income( I don't know the amount but I'm assuming pretty good).

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Easy to say. Not easy to do when you have kids and you're probably retiring prior to 40.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He's the greatest Super Bowl QB.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

How does it feel for any shred of integrity your word carried on this board be gone over night?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No qb can be near perfect for 19 games. That's been proven time and time again. I don't care if it's Peyton, Brady or Rogers

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Rodgers could do it. He just hasn't felt like it yet.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

True, but there have certainly been multiple Super Bowl winners where the d was simply mediocre the vast majority of the season.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Like the 2006 Colts?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Packers. Even the ravens last year weren't great.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[video=youtube;MpraJYnbVtE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]