Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WM, Aug 23, 2011.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

From what I've seen, I'm one of the few out of all of my PSN friends that has it. It's a completely different type of game obviously but even so is 10x's better than MW3. LIke I said before, I've been neglecting MW3 because of it.

kpt- I haven't played WoW so I can't compare it but my friends that played WoW have said it's nothing like it. The theme/genre are similar but that's about it.

2. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

Well to make money faster... I went back to Riverwood, strip down to nothing (so I could carry more), add the axe back and started chopping wood. LOL

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Up to a level 16 now, and after pretty much going with the two handed weapons only, I have fallen in love with the shield and one handed sword.

4. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

I would like to see a real-world/modern-time game similar to this.

5. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Depends on what he doesn't like about WoW.

It's an RPG so obviously it has many similarities.. it has quests, roleplaying, a level system, equipment used to get stronger... etc etc.. no hardcore raiding and crap.. or anything that involves the MMO part of mmorpg.

6. WM

WM Active Member

Need a 24 hour Wal-Mart in this game.

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

is there somewhere I can store my shit I don't need? Like books/armor/weapons I may want later?

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

You can buy a house I think or if you've played the main quest there's a couple of people (blacksmith in Riverwood and Dahl-something with her own inn) that own their own places that you could leave them.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm only at level 9 so far. I typically use destruction magic and a bow. I need to find a store where I can buy some illusion magic for invisibility.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Level 5, and have ended up going straight magic. If my weapons are always summoned, it lets me carry away more loot. Having trouble finding a diversity of spells, so I hiked my ass up to the College at Winterhold. Looking forward to running through those quests.

Honest question: why don't the people of Skyrim just ask the giants to smack a dragon [itch bay]? They could clearly handle it without breaking a sweat. Similarly, why doesn't one of the warring fractions try to bribe at least ONE giant to join their side? They're clearly the most powerful creatures around.

I just walked by a camp of one, and it came lunging at me and hit me so hard, I now know what it feels like to be the baseball that gets the cover knocked off of it. I seriously flew about as high as the Throat of the World straight up into the air.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm glad you broke down and got the game IP. It's awesome...

I haven't messed with any giants yet. From reading what you guys have written I don't need to either. I did take down a mammoth the other day though. That took forever...

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Random thoughts:

I am already fighting the urge to start over. Power gamers have contaminated me. I used to just play an Elder Scrolls game straight however I wanted, and didn't worry about maximizing my character's effectiveness. Oblivion ruined me, because you were forced to do that to some extent due to the world leveling around you.

I don't know if they got the Argonians right. They were great in Morrowind, but since then they never look quite right. They will probably grow on me though, as that is usually the case. The rest of the races look beyond fantastic. They really outdid themselves.

I am glad they paid more attention to character appearances/equipment than in Oblivion. The game world and dungeons are great, but last game they didn't pay enough attention to characters, leaving them cartoonish at best. Now, on PC, they look spectacular. Less so on 360, but still.

The style of this game is very Hyperborean, and it feels like I am walking through Conan the Barbarians world. The world feels more worn, older, run down, and weathered. I like it. Juxtaposed with Oblivion's High Fantasy feel, and Morrowind's bizarre dark fantasy, they all fit together yet feel distinct. It also fits the story timeline for Skyrim/Tamriel to be a bit tattered after 200 yars of political uncertainty and strife.

The leveling system is brilliant. So simple, yet so layered with complexity if you want to get into it.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I do like the setup but have trouble deciding on which area to apply my unlock. I wish you could unlock and level up in each category as much as you wanted to in accordance with how many points you have in the area. Does that make sense?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kind of, but I think you'd end up with all characters ending up pretty similar. The way they do it now, even if you max out all of your skills, the perks are what defines what you are a "master" of.

If we both have level 70 characters, our skills will all be 100 for both characters. Yet the perks will be what makes mine a necromancer and yours a warrior, for example.

15. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

so is there no way to respec perks? I'm not too worried about it because I have it for the PC and can mod it eventually - but that feels cheap... but eventually I'm going to want to just change drastically from a heavy armor/2hander to a light armor assassin or something.. or try out a pure caster.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

You definitely want to sort of choose an identity early and keep feeding into it. The Master-of-all-Trades of Morrowind and prior games is gone. Oblivion made it hard and a waste of time to do it, and this game flat-out made it not possible.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm a level 16 Nord now. I spent 23 hours playing from Friday to Monday. Far and away a personal record.

It is a hell of a lot easier to get married in Skyrim than in real life. However, perhaps the first line of this post sheds some light on that.

It seems to be more friendly to archery than Oblivion was. I never felt like it did enough damage to bother with trying to improve on Oblivion, but it is very useful in Skyrim.

My dragon battles have been rather easy, I've had some luck in the random encounters to be close to one of the open-world cities so I've had help. It does seem kind of odd to kill a dragon fairly easily and then subsequently get raped by a bear.

If I have a complaint (and it's not really a complaint) it's just that there's just not as much variation in the scenery as there was in Oblivion. I realize it's localized to Skyrim and that all the ES games are that way to an extent, but one thing I liked about Oblivion was how different all the parts of Cyrodiil were. But the art more than makes up for the slight lack of variation.

18. WM

WM Active Member

Just entered Ilinalta's Deep. Felt like a "Goonies never say die" moment.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was surprised by the lack of variation in environments, but as you said it is understandable. Going to be interesting to see what expansions are like for this. I bet they address that.

20. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

I keep getting sidetracked. This game would not be good for some one with OCD.