Ebola Outbreak

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Jul 29, 2014.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That's reasonable. Though we also had two nurses here get it from one patient. Counterpoint - that hospital appears to have been rather negligent.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is the magnitude. We've never sent so many people over because there has never been an outbreak like this before.

3. MWR

MWR Contributor

Another case confirmed. Looks like the Ebolaians are gaining on the Kardashians - whoever they are.

4. volinbham

volinbham Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. volinbham

volinbham Member

So this doctor has been moving around NYC for 6 days and started feeling bad on Tuesday?

Shouldn't he know better?

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Said a few days ago that he felt well enough to go for a jog. Yesterday, he felt fatigued. Today, the fever started.

And he isn't spreading it without being symptomatic.

7. volinbham

volinbham Member

Today his fever was 103. Do you think it's possible that he may not have fully recognized his symptoms prior to today? I mean God bless the man for the work he did but nobody voluntarily quarantines themselves and I'm sure he thought he was fine until he wasn't. The point? He was likely symptomatic before he recognized he was symptomatic. The spread is relatively easy to stop via isolation but that requires those who were exposed as healthcare workers are to be isolated until the incubation period passes.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I would hope that fever, muscle/joint aches, diarrhea, pain, etc would be easy for him to recognize. Hope being the key word.

9. volinbham

volinbham Member

yeah I agree. I'm just skeptical that you go from no symptoms to 103 fever. The safe route (and the policy now) is if you were in contact like he was you go into 21 day quarantine. Sucks to be sure but I'm guessing there's a period where you can transmit but don't yet recognize you may have it.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm for isolation after exposure regardless of whether you are showing symptoms. It's becoming increasingly clear that people are getting it and having it for multiple days without knowing. I understand that they aren't contagious if they arent showing symptoms, but is it really worth the risk?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

You realize any time you've ever gotten sick, you "had it" for up to a week or two without knowing it?

As long as there are over 10,000 cases and a hot zone somewhere in the world, this will happen. If you clamp down too hard on this, people will start lying and hiding their illness, which will make things worse. There is a reason why the flu invariably makes it around the world each year. We are too interconnected. Unless we radically change the economy, that isn't changeable.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why are you skeptical? Why are you guessing that?

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not following him either. How long does he suppose it takes to go frm 98.6 to 103?

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Clamp down too hard? It's a 21 day period to make sure you don't have a super deadly disease. How is that clamping down too hard?

And hiding their illness? We don't even know if they are sick. I'm saying if they have been around people who have or had Ebola, they should be isolated from the get go, before we know if they have it or not.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

They aren't contagious if not showing symptoms?

I didn't know that. How symptomatic does one have to be before they're contagious?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not the one to ask. I'll let IP handle your questions, though I'm 99% sure they aren't contagious if they aren't showing symptoms. At least that's what we are being told.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fever and nausea- blood and other fluids are contagious. Before then, there is no reason to believe one is contagious. Most of these people are feeling sick enough to go to the hospital just as they are becoming contagious. As far as is known, most transmissions of the virus come in the later stages of the illness when a lot of fluids are being released.

Example: Duncan, the original Dallas guy, was vomiting and shitting like crazy with a 103 degree fever in a little apartment with his girlfriend and two others. No one else got sick. This is highly infectious, not highly contagious. If you aren't touching someone's diarrhea, blood, urine, semen, etc you aren't going to get sick (like, 99.999 % of the time). This is why caretakers are the most vulnerable. Family members or medical staff caring for someone being ravaged by the disease.

NYC is as safe today as it was 10 days ago before he arrived.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why are people so damn paranoid about everything? I'm sure if you swapped a mother****ing kidney with the dude, ya you'd get Ebola. But until someone is symptomatic, there isn't enough of a viral load (number of viruses in your body) for it to be secreted through fluid discharges.

At a certain point, folks are going to have to have a little more trust or a little more education. The Ebola subreddit went from being solid and informative all summer to full retard the last month because of folks who don't know anything googling conspiracy theories.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Seconded

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The fact that the only people who contracted it from Duncan were nurses should tell you a lot about how progressed a patient has to be before they become a high risk of spreading the disease on contact. I'm just surprised we had two nurses who contracted. I would have thought our protocols were better than that (standard protocols any hospital would practice for infectious diseases).