Is this the most miserable Vol board on the interwebs?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VB, Nov 1, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm fine with you having your opinion. I'm not fine when I'm told what mine should be.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It sucks to see Peterman come in and fumble the UGA game away or the steaming pile of shit that was the Florida game.

It sucks to watch one WR run around uncovered, even in a win.

The "rebuilding phase" this year isn't nearly as daunting a task as some people think it is. I get what you're saying and agree to an extent, but those 2 losses are hard to handle.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

what constitutes ample evidence of poor coaching, game planning, hiring, decision making? How long does it take, or is this one of those learn on the job situations?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For whatever reason, the UGA loss doesn't bother me much. Mainly because Gurley did what I expected him too late in the game. I get what you are saying, it just doesn't affect me.

Florida, however. still stings. A lot.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it happened at the end of Fulmer's tenure. He would win 8 games, or perhaps 10, but the games were awful to watch and you could tell they were just backing into games because of talent. When that talent stopped overflowing, boom, 5-7.

Those that have the "stand behind your coach" attitude (and nothing wrong with that, if it helps you get through the week) simply saw the winning and were content. I (and many others more qualified than I am, as I am not special), however, could see something was wrong. The play calling sucked, the preparation sucked and there was almost no in-game coaching/adjustments happening.

Why must you wait until the car is flying off of the cliff before you decide to fix the brakes? It is a recipe for disaster and we have been seeing that disaster play itself out for the last ten years on Rocky Top.

While there are many positives that I love about Jones, his negatives are glaring and are something he is going to have to fix over the winter if he wants to win big here. I think some of his sideline actions this weekend, if I am any reader of people, I think he is beginning to understand this. I hope he is up to the task, as I want him to succeed here.

But I am not going to wait until year four to start analyzing and criticizing.

6. NorrisAlan

I think that loss is an albatross that will hang around Jones' neck until he throws it off with either winning out this year or winning big next year. I really believe it was a wake-up call for him.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Gurley going off doesn't bother me, trotting Nathan Peterman, who couldn't execute a hand off last year, out there and watching him fumble again made me extremely pissed.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kind of depends on who you would hire no?

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think there's no way to shrug off that loss this year. Had he somehow gotten a win against bammer, then sure, but beating KY, Mizzou, and Vandy do not really stack up to that mistake. It's just not the same.

10. NorrisAlan

Winning out also means a bowl victory, something we have not had here in almost six years. Yes, it won't completely wash away that stain, but I think it would go a long way.

For me, personally, anyway.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

depends on who and where.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Music City bowl, anybody. I'd be happy.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've got to think if we win out we're headed to Nashville. Can't see us going higher than that and no way I see them passing us up.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'd be happy with a MCB bid.

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It doesn't depend on anything for me. Just make to a bowl, any bowl and give these guys another month of practice.

16. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

It depends, but it would take a home run/top 10 hire to achieve immediate success here in the first couple years IMO. I really do not think our current administration is capable of pulling off such a hire judging by how the last couple have went down.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Confusing argument. Isn't Jones one of those people? If they can hire jones, surely they could hire someone else who is just as good no?

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Immediate success isn't the barometer. It's about obvious better coaching and actually helping the program rather than being an obvious detractor.

19. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

We were outcoached last year at Florida, outcoached last year v. Vandy. We were outcoached this year v. Florida. While I had no really delusions of us beating Bamer, the first quarter was as bad as we have looked. It is worth pointing out we hung around, but that is largely because of Dobbs - which raises the legitimate question of why he hadn't played all year.

We can say the staff gets credit for USC last year. This year? They get the win for sure, but USC is terrible. Atrocious on defense. Not sure you can argue we outcoached them.

If Butch wants to get true believers then he needs to start outcoaching teams. Good teams.

20. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Not necessarily.....there are only a few coaches out there than can achieve immediate high quality results and keep that same standard of play up in the long term. I think it's obvious Jones isn't one of the immediate success guys considering the Dobbs situation the past couple of seasons where we have focused on more long term results rather than short term. That's not to say he's a bad coach necessarily, just that there's more of a rebuild involved with him. I have come to terms with that.

Never said it was. That was just in response to Droski's post.