Is this the most miserable Vol board on the interwebs?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VB, Nov 1, 2014.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

People who celebrate a 4-5 record are generally 4-5 quality human beings. I'll leave it at that.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

One thing that stood out to me was Butch chewing the defensive coach a new ass after the long touchdown run in the 4th quarter. I really think the blow back from the fans has pushed the urgency to win now to Butch. There's still a lot of questionable decisions and questions about coaching, but there's also some bright spots going into the future.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

That's exactly where I'm at

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think he was chewing out a GA whose job it is to count players. We only had 10 guys on the field.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good summary.

They really thought that we would accept anything the first two years. They made decisions that reflect that attitude. That gives me great pause.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

On the plus side, they came here not having any idea what it took to recruit in the SEC, and they learned from their mistakes quite well.

Pause is reasonable, but ultimately he'll be judged more on 2015 and 2016 than on the long game BS he's been trying to play this year

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

No complaints about recruiting. I am convinced they viewed last and this year as throw-away years. At least adjust if you're set on red-shirting Dobbs. These underestimations are what gives me pause. Change some coaches and there's a shot.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm an *******. That's not anything that can't be argued otherwise. I love a fire from a coach.

I don't however like the way that he handled that. That's what headsets are for. It comes across bad and makes butch look like a petty little child. I tell all my players and guys I coach with. I won't ever embarrass you in the heat of the game. I expect the same back. When the door is closed to the office, you can say or act however you want.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Right, right, I'm just pointing out that there was a big recruiting swing and a miss when they first showed up (Bell), and they have learned from it and actually gotten pretty damn good at recruiting. I'm hoping that similar adjustments are made after a couple years figuring out what it takes to win football games here.

I agree that they thought the first two years were throw-away. And that pisses me off a little bit, but realistically, if it pays off with 10 wins next year, I'll really stop caring. I just hope they are able to learn from their mistakes, because there have been mistakes.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yup.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

That recruitment was way overblown.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Correct

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He courted the coach and momma when brother and cousin ran his recruiting.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The reaction.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Usually I'd agree. Not so sure he didn't react calmly compared to how I would there though.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was an easy target to show how a Big East coach couldn't recruit.

Butch has silenced the critics on that one

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

the stuff he has went off on are easy fixes. Flipping your shit this many weeks in only makes him look even more incompetent.

these conversations happen at every college in America on sidelines. You look petty and small as a leader doing this on national tv. That's why you have practice and headsets.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, I'd flip my shit too if a GA didn't do his job. The ass chewing to Wolf was a little much, because the play was still blown up

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't spell Independence Bowl without IP.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm a Haskins/Knight/Chaney/Huggins guy. Hard for me to criticize a coach going off.