Denico Autry to Mississippi State

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

A senior at Humboldt.

2. Unimane

I still have no idea what the [uck fay] Dooley is doing offering a scholarship to a kid like Blanc. I sincerely hope he'll be on the Hope Scholarship.

3. Unimane

Both are nothing special, except one was nothing special in the SEC and the other was nothing special amongst the academic and athletic rejects.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know what to say about Blanc, either. Those are the sorts of decisions that scare me about his recruiting skills. Blanc would be a fine preferred walk-on.

5. Unimane

I have to imagine he is. I just can't fathom it any other way. It reminds me of the year Fulmer really showed he had checked out when he basically offered everyone on the All-KIL list.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

So, Marlon Walls, who was a linebacker in high school, a converted defensive end in Miller (who's too small to being playing tackle) and an untalented guy in Saulsberry.. That's not serviceable in this league, Unimane.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Couch is the only SEC DT we have right now. Walls and Martin are DEs.

8. Unimane

Well, they did just fine this past year. We were 28th in the nation in total defense, which is serviceable, yet only 101st in sacks. I think improving the latter will help the former more than anything else and Jacobs provides help for neither.

Just for reference, Miller is 2 inches shorter than Jackson, but only 5 pounds lighter and Walls is 10 pounds heavier than Jackson.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  9. Unimane

Martaze Jackson is transferring, to add. He is an example of what you get when you try to "add depth". Either you get quality players and adapt or you are stuck with dead weight.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

We couldn't score points in a lot of games, leading to teams sitting on leads by running the ball and clock. That inflated our defensive numbers.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No they didn't. Malik was the only dl that did anything other than take up space.

Corey Miller is not a DT in the SEC

12. Unimane

Actually, in most of our games, we played teams close for the first half and then wore down in the second. So, teams weren't blowing us out from the get-go. Teams weren't sitting on the lead until late in the game. The defense was fairly stout in a lot of games until they got tired, but the sack totals are still glaring.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We also couldn't keep the offense on the field, leading to the defense being out there way too long and deflating the defensive numbers. We couldn't stop LSU, Alabama, or Arkansas, but the D was solid against the 2nd tier of the conference.

14. Unimane

Miller's already started at DT, last year against Oregon.

15. Unimane

Exactly, we've got some material to work with on defense, but the pass rush is a glaring, gaping hole right now.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

And Alabama and LSU held the ball on us for long, long drives. That masks how inept our defense was in those games, statistically. They give up less yards and points per a given unit of time, because the other team is holding possession for 9 or 10 minute chunks.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

What? And that shows he's capable of being worth a shit at DT in the SEC how?

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You're also forgetting that the only strong performer we had on the DL last year is graduating. We need massive help all along the line.

19. Unimane

It's relevant to the point that he's more useful than Jacobs, who is a waste of a scholarship. Plus, Miller was in the rotation for an interior defense that wasn't too bad last year, even without a legit pass rush.

20. Unimane

Disagree (partly), Walls and Couch were pretty good at the end of the year, though we could, of course need some quality DTs. Our biggest problems were at DE and Safety.

Listen, the question isn't whether we need a good DT or two. It's whether or not Jacobs provides something towards that need. He doesn't and you'll see that when he never does anything in Gainesville.