Denico Autry to Mississippi State

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

LSU had their way with our defense. But your assessment of the Alabama game is wrong, if memory serves. We held them down pretty well in the first half, and gave them a lot of short fields in the second half because our offense was so inept.

But if your point is that we don't have a defense that can compete with LSU and Alabama, I'm not arguing. I just don't think the pattern you're talking about had much effect on the final numbers. Or at least not an enough to counterbalance the negative effects that our schedule and our terrible offense had on the defensive numbers.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That makes absolutely no sense, Unimane. First, Jacobs is actually a defensive tackle. Second, many, many schools were seeking his services. Third, Miller being in our rotation at tackle doesn't mean jack shit. We have two tackles: Jackson and Couch. One is gone. Couch is back. Miller is an end, Walls is an end, Carson sucks, and Saulsberry sucks. Acting like being a part of our "rotation" at DT means you're better than Damien Jacobs is among the dumber things I've seen you post. It's about time to just concede the point that our d-line sucks ass outside of Mo Couch.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, a lot more schools wanted Miller, who you now think sucks. Plus, Walls is bigger than Jackson, but can't play DT? And, don't start that hat-like bullshit of calling people dumb and stupid because they don't agree with your point. It's beneath you. I'm making salient points that you, legitimately, disagree with.

Please, though, tell me why Jacobs isn't anything but Arthur Jeffrey? Tell me why we shouldn't rather go after different DL prospects with a month and a half to go until signing day.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not calling you dumb. I'm saying the point you're making is. A lot of schools wanted Miller as a DE as he was 227 lbs out of high school. I think he's got some potential there, not at tackle. Walls was a [uck fay]ing linebacker out of high school. He's now nothing more than a body to put in at tackle. We have one legitimate tackle right now, Couch. As to Jacobs being unlike Arthur Jeffrey: I'm not a d-line scout, but when Miami, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Arkansas, and Texas A&M want the kid, he's a take for Tennessee especially considering the people we are being forced to play on the line.

5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Thanks, guys. I remember now.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Talked to one of my coach friends around here and he says Bryson is ridiculously athletic for being 6'4", 280+. Watch his Rivals film if you have a sub, he times his jumps really well.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Alright, sorry, I misread the dumb comment. And we'll see on Jacobs, guys like Jeffrey were being recruited by FSU and others, too. I was never enthused about the guy and I much prefer other DT targets.

As for Walls, the guy is 280 pounds. So what if he was an LB in high school, what difference does that make? He's a big boy now and was making plays at the end of the year. Miller, I think, is too slow to play DE, but can put on about 5-10 more pounds and slide down to play like Jackson did.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You ain't gotta lie Lyls.

9. Beechervol

If we are able to move Walls and Miller back to end because we have made the tackle spot better with someone else our DL will be much better.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's because Miller is a DE that is playing out of position.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Considering this coach got hammered by the Bolt this year, I would take his word for it. :)

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Couch is solid, Walls is a DE, Miller should be a DE, Saulsberry barely played, and Hood is serviceable if you want someone pushed off the ball.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jeffrey blew his knee out and hasn't ever fully recovered. Walls got a lot more snaps outside at end than he did at DT. I will say Walls can probably be a decent pass rusher from inside on obvious passing downs, but he isn't what you want out there all the time.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's hard for an OL to get to the second level when he's pancaked Hood.

Maybe that's where Uni thought he was serviceable

15. Beechervol

I was talking about you being friends. I don't doubt the coaches comments.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Touche. I should have said "someone I work with who I pestered the hell out of for information".

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I guess technically if you are lying on the ground after being pancaked you could be clogging a hole.

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Jacobs would not have been a waste of space. He would have provided more quality and depth than Hood does.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4 yards off the ball?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hood just needs to learn technique. If he would just kick his heels up in the air while he is being pancaked, he will prevent the OL from getting to the next level for a couple more seconds.