The Bergdahl Story

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 2, 2014.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Obama stepped into it on this one:

* Sorry but your family members are being beheaded because we do not negotiate with Terrorist; until we do

* The 5 terrorist leaders we release will be under house arrest in Yemen; oh wait...

* We will label him as a hero who served with honor and distinction....... until he deserted

* Let's have a big Rose Garden ceremony with his parents to celebrate.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It changed the national attention off of another scandal, so it was a success.

3. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

It is possible he provided Intel to the enemy which resulted in deaths of American soldiers during his time of "captivity". A firing squad should not be ruled out.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

All fair points.

5. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

There were soldiers killed while they were out looking for him. I'd add that to his crimes.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This would be why he'd be a fool not to take whatever deal they offer.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Heard on the news yesterday that his lawyers rejected any deals offered.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Obama said it because it placated a too easily placatable media in justifying a terrible plan.

9. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

A fools folly

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Welp. The guy is too dumb to even cut his losses.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree. "It sounded good," kinda thing. Except it wasn't accurate at all. Someone should write a book on this some day. I mean, wtf?

12. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Didn't this take heat off of the VA scandal? I'm guessing they saw a way to "help an American hero" and ran with it.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Nailed it

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It worked to take the heat off of another fake scandal, and would have been a brave move bought by the media, if only all of the people that served with him would have been quite. Didn't they even give this guy a job in pentagon to sell the story after bringing him back?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have a rosey to the point of delusional hypothesis that I don't subscribe to, but have formulated as a narrative for a "graphic novel" version of the Bergdahl story (any artists can hit me up, it'll be huge):

Perhaps they feared Bergdahl was giving aid, perhaps through severe coercion, to the enemy in a way that was potentially an ongoing threat (I know, unlikely), or in some other way bestowing upon him some special value and they wanted to remove him immediately. Or perhaps they thought he himself might have potentially valuable information after 5 years of captivity/collaboration/whatever. So they engineered a mechanism to get him released on the fly, which happened to be 5 mostly useless (or at least 80 % useless) GITMO detainees.

Upon his retrieval, they put on a show about this "hero" in order to freely extract intel from him, complete with the White House ceremony and the desk job. Now that well is exhausted, and they are proceeding with the proper course of justice.

That's almost certainly not true, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than what is true.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Obama's strongest strength is his media relations. I'm going with the simplest explanation. It was to take heat of of a string of hits that Obama and the administration had took, and was working, till service men starting blasting him. Which is the one group that you can't attact and minimize, in this country in the media. So it brought the whole story down.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes but your explanation only provides for a single episode of House of cards while mine provides for an entire season of Homeland

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Ha!

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain