The Bergdahl Story

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 2, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ok. So how is it white guilt?

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Why are we laying the Trail of Tears at Andrew Jackson's feet, again?

Did I miss that?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm open to hearing an alternative history. Proceed.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You're not going to lay this at the feet of Martin van Buren and wash Jackson's hand of the matter, are you? Indian Removal Act? Worcester vs. Georgia?

5. Tenacious D

Was the Indian Removal Act enacted by Presidential Order?

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I figured it was Obama's fault.

7. Unimane

Did he veto it? Was he not part of a group, settlers on the western frontier, that strongly supported removal? Did he not oversee the removal of the Creek, Seminole and Choctaw under his administration, while ignoring Supreme Court rulings that it was unconstitutional?

8. Tenacious D

From Jackson's first message to Congress:

9. Tenacious D

TO

10. Tenacious D

From Jackson's third message to Congress:

11. Unimane

Is this supposed to benefit Jackson's position? He's saying that these people are too inferior to stay in contact with nearby settlers and, instead of forcing the encroaching settlers to respect their rights. I'm just going to steal their land.

12. Tenacious D

Show me one post where Andrew Jackson said he hated Native Americans.

13. Unimane

"My original convictions upon this subject have been confirmed by the course of events for several years, and experience is every day adding to their strength. That those tribes can not exist surrounded by our settlements and in continual contact with our citizens is certain. They have neither the intelligence, the industry, the moral habits, nor the desire of improvement which are essential to any favorable change in their condition. Established in the midst of another and a superior race, and without appreciating the causes of their inferiority or seeking to control them, they must necessarily yield to the force of circumstances and ere long disappear." -- Andrew Jackson

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Based upon his comments in matters of race I, like many others, always thought he was black. Upon learning he was not lead me to view his comments in a different light at which time I came to the hypothesis.

When asked about his dislike of Andrew Jackson the very first thing mentioned was his treatment of Indians; something he obviously views as important to him in forming his opinion. It is also something I would think is important to someone with "white guilt".

15. Unimane

Sorry, next time I will mention it third, then. It's only, by far, the most noted and recognizable issue of his presidency. Next time I will wax upon his ending of the Bank of the US and its effects on the Panic of 1937 before mentioning the Trail of Tears in passing, if at all.

I will also make sure that I note that Obama is a POS racist against whites, which is completely acceptable, but mentioning racism otherwise? Horrible white guilt.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves." - John Wayne

*I'm in no way trying to advance either side of the Native American/Andrew Jackson argument, I just think the quote is hilarious. Carry on.*

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I wouldn't want you to be anything but yourself. It would be a boring place if we all thought alike.

18. Unimane

Hear, hear.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This Melungeon despises all you white boys....

I kid. I kid.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

instigator!