Tragedy of the Commons: class experiment

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 15, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

And ensure everyone else including yourself does 2 points worse. It is no different than people spending their last few dollars on lottery tickets.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

In real life, it is always "later in the game."

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not true. These are "free" points. I have the grade I deserved by studying and work ethic in the class. I'd be a fool not to risk it if I needed more than two points.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which means you ****ed over the entire class for your own (very small chance of) gain.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not true. They have their true grade already too, anything else is gravy. If they need the points they'll gamble, and if not they'll play it safe.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I wonder if the results of this kind of experiment are different across different cultures, particularly East v West.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Preventing someone from gaining 2 additional points that they never had, isn't the same taking 2 points away from them. Their situation is unchanged.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whatever you guys say. Zero points awarded for all.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That falls in line with my worldview.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If I have a 65 and I need five points before getting a D, voting for two points is the same as a zero on my final grade. It would be stupid not too risk it.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is one way to look at it. Another is that everyone is getting two bonus points. They are yours. Now, you can push this button and get four more points, but if ten percent of the class pushes that button, I will take away the two points and any of the four points awarded.

Same results, different way of wording it.

12. hatvol96

Whether some asshat I probably dislike anyways gets two points is irrelevant. I'm looking to max my return. The effect on the faceless drones surrounding me in the classroom matters not. If you are doing your job, you don't need the points in a [dadgum] college course to start with.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I wonder if the guy with a 58 is madder at me for "taking away" 2 points or himself for missing out on 42 points.

14. hatvol96

In real life, people depending on the moral compasses of strangers have already lost.

15. hatvol96

If he's upset with missing on 42, he'll ultimately be successful and doesn't concern himself with the exercise because he is self reliant. If he's angry about not getting a communal gift, I hope he likes commodity cheese and soup kitchens.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I want 6 points or nothing.

17. hatvol96

I want a professor fired for playing parlor games instead of actually educating.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There's the chance for points but they aren't mine they don't belong to me or you. They belong to the teacher. Any points one gains is an undeserved, unearned gift. Any missed out on you weren't entitled to, to begin with.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a valid psychological phenomenon that he undoubtedly covered while teaching psychology.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You and many others. Zero points is not your maximum return, yet that is what you get with this "logic."