Tragedy of the Commons: class experiment

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 15, 2015.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Seems to me the best option is to saddle up one of your two cows and rude the [uck fay] out of that shitty commune.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No, it's extra herd. I've theoretically busted my rear and am fine regardless ofoutcome.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

More like the class can collectively take two points, or they can collectively take nothing. You choose nothing. Cool. Judging from your inability to understand what the exercise is illustrating, you probably are going to be repeating the class anyway.

4. hatvol96

Again, how am I hurt by getting exactly what I earned? I'd say the halfass student who passes by virtue of the charity of others, then gets smashed in the face with reality upon his undeserved graduation is the one damaged here.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no. the equivalent of your example would be if your choice was between B or an A and if 10% or more choses the A everyone gets an F. in that case I guarantee you that 99% would pick B. percentages matter.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

How's does giving kids an artificial grade help society? Seems to me that it waters down the value of education.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

That isn't the scenario. Say it is a public forest. There is enough mature trees for everyone to harvest 2 every year, unless 10 % of people try to harvest 6 and then there will be no mature trees the next year. And you live on an island with no contact with the outside world. And you don't have a secret lumber stash or alternative fuel/building materials.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you read the article he had a year where they picked the 2 meaning some people got 6. so no. the choice isn't 2 or nothing.

9. hatvol96

Yep, that explains my minor in psychology and the fact I never had to attend class more then 25% to walk through with a 4.0 in that part of my transcript. Really tough concepts to grasp. That's why schools herd their athletes into psychology classes, the intellectual rigor of the discipline.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

As the article said, he's done this several times and only once has he had to reward any extra credit. It is human nature. He knows full well that this "extra credit opportunity" is not really an opportunity at all, because people think they're all clever little snow flakes in asking for 6 assuming no one else will.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then you understand full well that he isn't really offering extra credit at all, since the vast majority of the time the class will collectively **** it up.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no no no. you have existing forest that provides 80 trees next year. you either get 2 more, 6 more, or zero. that's the correct analogy.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

which is why he's a dipshit trying to teach the class a lesson like a petulant child.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No, this is 2 or 6 that can be added on top of what I can already have. If I've gained enough and content with where i am then it doesn't matter what the outcome is. I can have 6 or 0. One is nice, the other doesn't affect me at all.

15. hatvol96

When did college become a collaborative effort? So, we try to force people into a phony group to judge whether or not they will act in the best interest of a collective they didn't choose to join. Great scientific method. I'm sure it produces results with great application to real world scenarios.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

We don't know if anyone got 6 or not. Safe to assume someone did, but we know it was less than 10 % of one particular year of several. So very, very few of the people who ever chose "6" got "6." But they probably think they're really clever and earned that 6 where others failed to do so, despite actually just being in the right class as the right time.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That's reality. But you are the one arguing for the artificial grade.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're completely missing the point. It was a final lesson.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not arguing "for" it, I'm just pointing out how it is obviously not in the best interest of the students to not get those 2 points, but it happens most of the time anyway.

I swear to god, how is this becoming about me, or the merits of extra credit?

20. hatvol96

The answers in this thread show that is false. People who have done the work and aren't tied to some phony collective play all or nothing. The fact that he's had to give out the credit once means it's likely 9.9% or so got their six points in a class. For what sharing two points with a bunch of people who I share no connection with is worth to me, I'll gladly take the once in a blue moon lottery ticket.