Tragedy of the Commons: class experiment

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 15, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd pick the 6 with the theory that my 1 vote isn't going to push the class over 10%.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'd take the 6 points because even though I already have an A, I want to stick it to the other 99%.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Haha. You beat me to it!

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

If this were the class, no one is getting extra credit. Still interesting, and it really does highlight the underlying human tendency that creates so many problems.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Mom, why are you buying so much milk?"

"I need to get it before the hoarders get it all."

8. CardinalVol

I actually actively sought extra credit in two classes.

1. 6 grade science. I had an off day, grabbed the wrong folder before class, didn't have my class outline, we had a 4 question pop quiz open note, I got both backwards and made a 0.

2. Senior year of college, Accounting Information Systems. Same thing. Bad day, got stuff crossed, big assignment due, I didn't have it. I just packed my stuff up and walked out of class.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's like the old GSN show Friend or Foe. Do both parties agree to split the cash or do they try to take it all?

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

She's buying so much milk because there's going to be a dusting of snow.

11. CardinalVol

You say dusting, I say new ice age.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hard to say what the value of the points or there need without other information.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

My vote would depend on what my grade was at the time.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I games the hell out of one of my professors. Every year she gave extra points at thanksgiving for canned food, guess which guy didn't have to take the final

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Professor the class said he's only give extra points once.

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

People are greedy

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is irrelevant. You can help ensure 2 points for everyone including yourself, or triple that reward only for yourself at the risk of losing 2 points for everyone. Mathematically and logically, there is only one right answer: take the sure 2 points for everyone. Human nature is, you're special and everyone else isn't "clever" enough to ask for the 6 points.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't matter. 2 sure points or high risk of no points if very many other people are desperate like you. Let's say there are 100 people in the class, and 40 are making a B or higher. Everyone else is going to want those 6 points. If they have the attitude of "but I need it," no one is getting any points. This exercise is brilliant in laying bare this problem in human behavior.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's not irrelevant. It's risk reward. If I know I'm 3-6 points away from a grade change, I'm risking the the chance on having a positive effect on my grad than a neutral one.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus it matters at the time of the semester the choice is given. Early on I bet more take the sure two, but later in the game I'd be riskier if I needed more than two.