Jon Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 27, 2015.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't agree unless things are fixed at the top. Otherwise we just prolong purgatory with potential loss of talent.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the talent loss is coming.

3. TennTradition

I agree.

But him leaving to take another job does us no good unless the decision making at the top changes.

I think I'll just take him rather than go into another coaching nightmare.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Meh, he took much better jobs in both cases.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I actually agree. I just want it all to get fixed. It isn't that hard, and I don't understand the incompetence and egotistical behavior by those in power that is required to ruin this thing.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I view it differently. I think we're better off with someone who has a chance of coaching well. This guy has no chance of doing it well.

7. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I just hope the heat gets turned up and Butch can't take it. We're setup perfect now for a good coach to come in and compete for championships

8. TennTradition

And if that goes 'well' what are the odds of forcing the changes that will be required for us to be great.

These guys did nothing right in their last search. What's changed? Is the small chance that the next guy does well worth the price of delaying greatness? Can these guys make a great hire?

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I have to assume that at some point the writing is on the wall for these guys and they know that blue light specials are no longer an option.

10. TennTradition

If so then cya. I'm not sold that the top has changed enough.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it's never going to change enough, but I'm just taking the statistical stance. There is at least some possibility that we hire a coach who can coach and recruit. The staff we have now will never be able to coach.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

When OV says to do something, the correct response is, "Yes sir!"

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

As long as he's down in Alabama I'm safe

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. Another crappy hire just resets the clock again, and we have to wait 3-5 years for another chance.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

do you not think there is a clock reset coming? Why wait?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't see a way out of this death spiral. Don't take that as an endorsement to do nothing. I'd rather go down kicking and screaming, raising a nationally heard ruckus.

17. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'd roll the dice and play the odds. What're the chances we find somebody as bad or worse than Dooley and Jones?

Shit, bring Cut back and we'll win 8, eliminate cliches, and enjoy a nuggets platter every year at the chic fil a bowl.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Who is overrating Kentucky? I think Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, and the Florida team that just beat us are all roughly equivalent. I haven't seen Arkansas, but in their current health, they are probably right there as well.

19. TennTradition

While I don't disagree with that, buyouts and standard time you have to live with your next mistake complicate matters.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

so you're arguing that we wait until the administration changes before taking the risk with a new coach, even though the risk won't change?