This is what I was afraid of...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tmac61, Oct 12, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe Dobbs called his own number a few times.

You're right, the offensive play calling gets much better when Tennessee is trailing

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

See, I think it does take a 300/100 game from him. Plus, Hurd has to get going.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And that is the sign of a coward and a chickenshit coach. Hammer down all the time, and you will win a lot more games instead of playing scared.

Who would take their Ferrari and race someone in a Pinto by trying their hardest to just stay in front of the Pinto?

Blood pressure rising....

4. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

We had quite a bit of help when a one dimensional offense had their one dimension get the stanky leg before the clock got to 14:50. There was also a touchdown in the endzone that would have likely taken us to OT. I don't disagree that we played well, and much better than previous attempts, but to say that the coaches improved or got significantly better because the job was on the line is a little disingenuous. I agree with Norris, I think Dobbs told the sideline to suck it and wanted to stretch his legs.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep and I see some forced throws and picks coming in this game for Dobbs.

The 1 and 2 yard outs won't work against their D.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It had that look about it.

7. MWR

MWR Contributor

I'm guessing BAMA 49, VOLS 0, so better make that 51 points.

8. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Says you...and me...and most of us here. But, we are talking about The Turtle. You gotta quit thinking normally.

9. Beechervol

I think If UT gets to 400 total with a couple of short fields (returns or turnovers) they will have a chance.

If Dobbs puts that up, we have done something with the extra week.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not because their job was on the line--the opposite of that, actually: because nothing was on the line. Their jobs (or at least fan perception of them) were on the line with leads against OU and UF, and they stunk. When they're down 24-3, nobody has any expectations, there's nothing to lose. And I am referring much more to the offensive staff here. I had some problems with the D.

11. TDVol1989

That is not a VN statement. No one has really manhandled us so we can play with them physically. I think their vertical passing game can get us as well as the 1 big 70yd run where we just forget how to tackle. But, if we can even try to throw deep on them, I think we have a shot to make a real game of it. And, for Pete's sake, we need to run North South. Yes, I said it.

12. TDVol1989

I get all the IFs, but it works both ways. Wolf dropped a TD so we left 4 pts off the board. Foreman dropped an easy INT. GA scored on that drive. The GA punt return had a called then uncalled block in the back. Todd Kelley dropped a game ending INT on the final drive. Yes, we got a lucky punt (though you can debate skill at this point). But their initial INT was a lucky karoom too.

13. Tar Volon

and, you know, Hurd fumbled and gifted UGA 7 points when we should've had 7

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That play pissed me off. UGA nearly took the handoff

15. Beechervol

The extreme delay from 2 feet out.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I need to just let go now. Following this team and the coaching debate is going to challenge by sanity.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm almost not sure I'd call that luck. Terrible play call and terrible execution that resulted in the worst possible outcome.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cover zero? Let's run from shotgun at the 3 blitzers on two gaps.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This really is where I'm at, too.

The only question I need answered is did he win 5 games to prevent being fired, or 8+ to make him attractive enough to be stolen.

The rest is insignificant details.

20. Tar Volon

Even if you call the play call and execution terrible (and I'm with you there), how often does the ball bounce right into the defenders arms, allowing him to take off without even having to stoop down and pick it up? That was at least a bit lucky for Georgia.

And at any rate, the post I was responding to was a little more general regarding the "if" game, not necessarily lucky plays only.