Hypothetical Festival

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jul 26, 2016.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

5. Hohenfels that is a great idea, no exceptions or deferments.

6. Penthouse Suite, Four Seasons, NYC

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I carry a handgun, which should answer all questions.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You know you want to see who REALLY killed JFK.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

In all seriousness:

1. I don't think I would do anything. I think it's disrespectful of all those who died to give them the right to do it, but so be it, I guess.
    2. Probably try to figure out if it was real, or some reaction to something, and work through it. If it had to be that way I couldn't continue with it.
    3. I'd be really disappointed. I don't think UT would do anything about it in 2016 but I think it could be a year away. I'd still watch it. It's too much a part of me.
    4. I'd probably ask the guy if he needed anything. I probably wouldn't be able to offer much actual help beyond making a phone call or some such. If the scenario with the woman is going on, probably just mind my own business.
    5. Good question. Not sure. Probably reinstate the abortion ban. Maybe impose congressional term limits. Maybe limit message board posts to a 10,000 word max. The campaigning limit thing is probably a good idea too.
    6. It would be hard not to want a look into the CIA/FBI stuff. Probably end up being disappointed though.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I love the idea of mandatory enlistment...but your strongest opponent would be the military, itself. You don't want anyone who doesn't want to be there.

Now, if we could amend it it a mandatory two years of military or community service, I'm all onboard.

6. Tenacious D

Lord, beer me strength.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A conscription army is a horrible idea, imho, and wouldn't fly. And forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do seems counter to this country's ethos.

That said, my biggest (and perhaps only) regret in life is I didn't join the service at some point.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I agree, all done? Make it happen.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Agreed.

I respect the heck out of people that joined the service, but I don't regret not doing it. Just don't think it is for me, at all.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

It would be tempting.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Hear, hear. Not everyone is made to be a military person, which is 100% fine. Everyone can, though, find a way to benefit society and do something that requires some sort of sacrifice of themselves. I can't imagine a generation that needs it more than this one, too.

12. Tenacious D

My #1 - I'd like to think that I would respect their unwavering right to free speech, and in the sedate realm of the theoretical, I can easily and strongly support their right to do so. But actually in front of me, lighter going to it, throw on the ground...? I'd like to think that both my belief in their freedom of speech and my respect for the rule of law would win out.

13. Unimane

Finding out how the sausage is made might be traumatic, but I'm also aware of hundreds of other horrible things our government has done at home and abroad that I think I could be inured to any sort of shock. I just wonder, especially as a historian who has spent a time researching information, what sort of things I've assumed to be true isn't.

14. Tenacious D

There are many, many things that I'd just like to see firsthand for myself, to read and hold in my hands, as it pertains to JFK / the assasination - but honestly, and as mystifying as it must sound to anyone who knows me, I wouldn't spend one wisp of any moment of that time in trying to discern who killed JFK, or if Oswald was the lone assassin / only player in the game.

While I'm always willing, welcoming even, to hear / see / discuss takes on JFK's assassination, and to carefully consider it all, the evidence I've thus far seen has so firmly settled the issue in my mind, that I doubt it would even occur to me to look for anything new, or which might alter the well-studied conclusion that I've reached, which is that Oswald did it, and acted entirely alone.

15. Tenacious D

Un, this won't be popular with everyone, but it's meant with complete sincerity - I genuinely love when people of typically complete and oppositional opinions can find common ground. I really, really do.

And it abounds, I think, but we - you and I, Congress, the Country, the World - never seem capable of either finding or holding it.

But it always strikes me as how things could - and should - be.

16. Tenacious D

You would have done just fine, as would Norris.

The ones who struggle are the dipshits who can't figure out what the deal is, or don't want to conform to it. You guys may have "hated" it, but two smart, reasonable people such as you are, would've been fine.

I don't intend this as an insult in any way (actually just the opposite), but he will undoubtedly and unfortunately take it as such, but IP would have been perfectly served by a stint in the military. Once he got in, got his bearings, and understood the what and why of it all, he would excel, IMO.

And he'd see the world through an entirely different prism. Neither a better nor worse one, than now, but an entirely different one, for sure.

17. Unimane

Absolutely (And the anonymity of the message board exacerbates this. Man to man, we'd, no doubt, be cool.). Things get heated in the political arena, but, rest assured, once the football season starts, we are brothers in arms in our anger towards the status of the UT program, Dave Hart and Butchinald T. Jones. And, Bama. **** them, too.

18. Tenacious D

More common ground. Utopia coming.

19. Unimane

Like a couple of hippies playing hacky sack and singing with a guitar in group circle.

Wait, too far?

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

1. What would you do, personally, if someone intentionally desecrated an American flag in front of you? Burned it, spat or stepped on it, etc.? I would tell them to get the hell out and walk away.

2. What would you do if you were several years into a happily and heterosexual marriage, when your spouse suddenly expressed her/his desires for bisexuality, and which they were previously unaware or which had simply been repressed? Not sure on this one. My wife and I have such a great marriage it would be hard for me to even imagine this.

3. What would happen if Tennessee goes 7-5 in this upcoming regular season? What would you do - and how would the University respond, if even at all? Quit watching and giving any of my money to the University of Tennessee until Butch is gone and the administration is completely changed. I think the current administration would do its best to make excuses but I think this would be the last straw for the majority of fans.

4. If you were walking through a parking lot toward your car, and witnesed a man who was obviously trying to unlock his car door by fidgeting with a coat hanger at the window - would you offer to help? What if he was also berating the woman with him, and ostensibly who he blamed for having locked the keys in the car, via an incessant tirade of blameful obscenities - would you still offer to help, or intervene in any way? If so, how? If not, why? I have no abilities to unlock cars so I would not be of much use. I would be pissed at the berating but as long as he is not hitting her I would feel its not my place to step in (as much as I probably would want to)

5. If the POTUS granted you the use of the Exexutive Action pen for one (1) tangible thing - and only one thing - what would you sign into law? Some type of flat tax or tax restructuring.

6. If you could have unlimited and unfettered access to any one place in the world - but couldn't add or remove, or alter anything about it - where would it be? The White House? Upper floor of Graceland? Private island? Jewel Paradise Cove Resort & Spa Runaway Bay