A question for the health freaks

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

i have a certain workout plan i have to follow for football. It'd be really difficult to do other stuff on top of what I'm already required to do, and i don't think it would be really beneficial. As far as doing "abs" i say abs, but i guess core would be a better word for it. I work on the entire core. Also, i think me and a few other players are going to start hitting a bag. I heard it tears your shoulders up and gets really tiring.

I think the whole mother nature thing might be a problem for me. I've always been pretty athletic but unable to get the definition I'd like to have. I don't want to use that as an excuse, but it might be a strong factor.

i eat fruit and almonds along with the other stuff. What else makes good snack food to go along with fruit and almonds? I was under the impression rice cakes weren't bad for you at all.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I've always wondered why Indy can't get a six-pack. Keeps me up tonight. Thank God for this thread.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's what I have been told by most everyone else.

As far as why i train abs five days a week, why not? It's really training "core," and i am in the gym 7 days a week required, so why not do them if I'm already there?

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Rest easy. With the advice of the health guru's of the 8th, my six pack will soon be here and you won't have any reason to worry.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

They require you in the gym everyday?

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Just [uck fay]ing with you, Indy. Carry on.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My lifting periods are 4:45pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri. We have workouts at 6 am Mon, Wed, Fri that consist of a lot of different things. some crossfit stuff. Box Jumps, dynamic push ups, some sprinting, overhead squats, burpees, explosion stuff, etc. A lot of times it's a station thing on Mon and Fri, and Wednesdays are competition days. The competitions are usually really tough, but they only last a short time, so you do a 5-10 minute competition and then you are done and cheer on other people while they go. Kinda like a mental toughness thing.

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

a couple of things. You definitely should make time for breakfast if you're working out in the morning. Take the calcium tablet first thing, do your workout, eat a good, healthy breakfast, and a decent lunch and a smaller dinner. As for snacks, I'm with 53 and chavis (I think it was him to lazy to scroll back up). Just because Floyd Mayweather can handle eating fast food all the time, doesn't mean you can. I promise you aren't training/working out like him to burn it off and you probably don't have his metabolism. I'm not saying to drop your calories to 1100 a day or something crazy, but even with your workouts you can probably keep it well below 2000 and not notice any significant issues. 1700 is what I attain for because I'm also trying to lose weight. I had to go on a couple of profiles when I first got back from Afghanistan and my body shows it. I'm doing Crossfit twice a day 3 times a week and running 3 times a week as well. My metabolism sucks. The cardio workouts will help increase your metabolism and one thing KB is right about is you can burn some serious calories with lifting/resistance training if you're doing it right. Very little time between sets and continually mixing it up.

The one problem most people have, including myself, is that you can't choose where you are going to lose the fat. For most people legs and the head/neck area are first and the belly is one of the last places to burn fat. It just takes lots of work. Also, when I say running for cardio, it should be at least like a 45 minute run. If you have to walk some or slow waaaaaaaay down, do it, but burning fat via cardio is about longevity, not short bursts. Sprints and stuff like that can shrink it down, but even then you need to do sprints for a good 30 minutes to 45 minutes for it to be effective. Also, the protein drink really probably isn't helping.

As for keeping track of your caloric intake, you can use apps on your smart to count calories. Say you eat spaghetti, you can type that into the app, just make sure you're accurate with the serving size. Serving sizes are typically much smaller than what you pick for yourself or they give you, so be fair and balanced there. It also helps prevent you from eating those snacks because you're more self conscious. And eating rice cakes, wheat thins, etc is nowhere near as good for you as fruit. Everyone's different, you just have to find what works for you.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

oh and I don't know how "occasional" your gatorade is, but unless you've done something to lose a crap ton of electrolytes, Gatorade isn't good at all. Loaded with sugars. The Gatorade G2 stuff is a lot better, but unless you just really need it, I don't recommend it.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Thanks for the info. I will have to work on getting breakfast in i guess. i lift as quickly as i can. It's difficult to not leave time between sets because there are quite a few people in my lifting group. I don't have a smart phone... lol ummm i usually only drink gatorade after my morning workouts before i go to class.

So fruits for snacks... any other good choices?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

volfan, tell me more about these calcium tablets.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Still say you might want to talk to someone before you start doing a lot of calorie counting. You can probably afford a lot more tha. The average joe with your regimen.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They have a positive charge of 2.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't really plan to "calorie count" because i don't have the time for it and really have no way of doing it. I'm just gonna drop the snacks people say to drop and start focusing on getting breakfast and better snacks in.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Bill sounds like he's diesel. I'm going to have to quit arguing with him on here.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

He hangs with those SOF guys. You'd never know he was there....

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Stop with the hip adductor machine. Eat fairly clean, lift heavy, and run sprints. If all of that doesn't get you the body you want, just do a cycle of juice.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

it's just a health supplement. Tablet was a bad word to use, but you can get them in several forms. The most common form is a soft chewable. I get mine from GNC. They're supposedly for women, as evidently they need more calcium than males, but they do work to increase metabolism. Most also include a huge amount of Vitamin D. Just take one each morning.

As I mentioned, far from it. But as I mentioned in the what's your job thread, we're the red headed step child of the red headed step child in SOF so a lot of the higher ups are trying to improve our image and they think PTing the crap out of us and making us look like hardcore soldiers is going to change the fact that in reality we're all just a giant group of nerds.

You get everything in the SOF community. 7th might want to say otherwise, but while I don't know what you do in Special Forces after you go through Assessment and Selection, it can't be too bad. I often wonder how some of those guys meet body weight standards. From the looks of things, drinking heavily is a major part of being SF. They're trained to do extremely tough stuff and handle situations I would never want to be a part of, but they aren't always supreme physical beasts like most think. The red headed step child SOF unit that we support are even more out of shape. But alas, my platoon has been going through all sorts of heavier training to somehow make us not look like nerds. It's never gonna work.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Indy, if you don't have a smartphone, you can simply go online to livestrong.com, set up an account and calorie count that way. It works the same way. You seem to have easy access to a computer. It's a great system to really keep yourself in check. The livestrong site even breaks foods down into the nutrients so you know what you're getting and what you don't.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have a guy who is 6'8 350ish that does it all. everybody does the same stuff. The linemen are just slower at it.