A question for the health freaks

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

well okay.. i guess i will have to give it a look

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I had to look that up, but I"m definitely not an ectomorph. I'm naturally strong in my upper body and have shoulder, chest, back muscles without lifting. There is a difference between lean and scrawny. Ectomorph is scrawny.

I'm not a mesomorph either, though, as that guy appear to have like a 36 inch waist. So I don't know what to tell you.

Also, what is your argument? That Floyd Mayweather is an ectomorph? Of course he isn't. So then why can he eat whatever he wants? The reason of course is because when you regularly workout it doesn't matter what you eat. The food goes in your mouth and then later comes out your ass without stopping to take long breaks to form a potbelly. Thanks for making my argument.

3. kidbourbon

Floyd Mayweather is 35 or something. I've never met anybody in their 30s who could not workout, eat whatever they want, and look like Adonis. It just doesn't happen. The reason is because Floyd Mayweather works out everyday of his life and does so with a boxing workout that is high intensity and keeps the testosterone running high. As a result, it doesn't matter what he eats. Again, this is my point. If you work out regularly -- and not like a damn pansy -- watching what you eat is a non-consideration unless you happen to be naturally fat, in which case, yeah, do all that stuff.

4. kidbourbon

I would rather get weekly kicks in the [penis] than count calories. Just saying.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Arguing that diet has no effect is just dumb. Regardless of how intense your workout is, a horrible diet will [uck fay] most people over. I work out 7 times a week and dont work out like a [ussy pay], and i eat well and still have trouble getting into amazing shape. Diet matters.

6. kidbourbon

I"m not arguing it has no effect generally. What I'm saying is that if you work out enough, the effects that a bad diet would have on a person with a sedentary lifestyle are not going to apply to you because your metabolism will take care of it. And so if you're working out regularly, and hardcore, and you're still a little bit rough around the edges then there is essentially no diet -- short of eating noting but carrots and celery -- that is going to result in you having a six pack. Does that make sense?

If you're a math person:

Six pack acquisition == .7A + .25B + .05C

A = genetics
    B = exercise
    C = diet

So don't torture yourself by counting calories. If your DNA strand already made up its mind that you were gonna have a little belly fat, and you're working out enough to get your metabolism up, don't torture yourself with Tofu and celery sticks. Diminishing returns.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sorry kidb but Floyd Mayweather and your average joe have very different metabolisms. And even if they didn't, his training regimen is so much more intense than anything a normal guy with a family and forty hours a week at work could muster it's just not a pertinent example.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Then explain to me how when my genetics and exercise remain constant, and my diet is the variable, my weight changes? If i eat like crap or even just okay, i put on weight and lose definition. If i eat healthy, i get some definition and only have a little belly fat.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And diet being only five percent if the equation is insane.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Tofu and celery sticks? Most people aren't 100% any bodytype, usually you fall in a mix.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I wouldn't say you need to count calories, but it might be worth your while to just take a look at what you eat in an average day and just know about how many calories that is. Even if you don't do that, it doesn't take too much effort to just replace super unhealthy food with something a tad better.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

No one ever said counting calories was fun. It sucks. But it's an effective method that works remarkably well.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This needs to be merged with the BBQ thread.

15. WM

WM Active Member

I had turkey brats rolled in a soft tortilla this morning.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Sadly my turkey brat hasn't rolled around in anything soft for some time now.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And there are a few smartphone apps that help with the process.

18. kidbourbon

I disagree. I probably underestimated genetics. Think about the fat kid in elementary school. Think about how much fatter he was than you. Was it because his mom was stuffing little debbie cakes in his mouth, or was it almost completely determined by genetics?

19. kidbourbon

Genetics determines your default body state. Think of a guy who is tall and lanky. He is self-conscious that he is too skinny and so actively tries to gain weight. Eats peanut butter all the time. Drinks protein shakes. And this helps. He gains a little weight. But then if goes back to eating how he used to, he is going to lose the weight.

If Tyler Bray weren't made by trainers to eat and life to try to add bulk, wouldn't he still be 180 lbs dripping wet? I don't know why so many of you are taking issue with what I'm saying. It's plainly how things work. Could Albert Haynesworrth ever get as skinny as Tyler Bray?

Is Scotty Hopson every going to have the physique of Jarnell Stokes?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it was his mom stuffing food in his mouth. calories in and calories out. it's that simple. when studies have measured metabolism for fat people they've found the majority do not have below average metabolism.