Obama and His Accomplishments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If you have a degree from an Ivy League school and few good recommendations, it's not that difficult to get into another Ivy League school, even with a GPA of 3.0-3.3, which Obama likely had at Columbia.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

absurd. Consumers only exist to the extent that a company finds a way to meet a need. There were no consumers for the ipod the day before it was released, but there was one helluva pile of money poured into it.

The idea that income inquality gap lessens demand is silly as hell, unless you want to talk about demand in items generated in China for pennies. If that's your point, knock yourself out, but argue with someone else who has a remotely equivalent grasp on capitalism.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Obama was black, period. You aren't getting into Harvard Law with a 3.0 from another Ivy and cute recommendations from profs as a white guy.

4. Unimane

So, the ipod was the first item created by Apple? They didn't have previous resources to make this item?

And, you're seriously arguing that companies create consumers and not the other way around? Because that's ridiculous. I guess I should, though, be arguing with someone who has a better sense of capitalism, now that you suggest it, if you are trying to promote this idea. Adam Smith would roll his eyes at you.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

difference being bush wasn't lauded as some sort of genius.

i'm not understanding this logic. if i'm richer how does that make you poorer? and yes companies need consumers. but someone has to have the capital to start said company. i can have a billion $$$ idea and still wont make a dime if i have no money to start the company.

6. Unimane

Oh, yes, you can. I used to be in an academia environment and the Ivy League is like European royalty without the hemophilia.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

where do you think steve jobs got the money to start apple? where do you think he got the money to keep the company going when he didn't have a product people wanted?

your use of adam smith makes me wonder if you are gibbs.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i know dozens of people who have ivy league degrees and not a one had a 3.0 at any point in their academic cycle. getting into harvard law without at least a 3.5 one time in 4 years (which is what obama needed to make the honor roll) is impossible without special treatment.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. Unimane

It's not a coincidence that economic downturns happen when consumers aren't able to spend their money. Companies can't magically create jobs as this fictitious "job creator". And, yes, wealth inequality is happening when the advancement of salaries for executive pay is increasing at astronomical rates while more blue collar pay has been stagnant for decades as well as the thinning of the middle class. That's not the recipe for a healthy economy.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I tried to get into Harvard once. The overalls and chew must have sealed my fate.

11. Unimane

Is Gibbs the dude who made everything about Obama being a Muslim and how Islam is the creation of the devil, then included about a thousand little cartoons? That dude was [uck fay]ing nuts.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no gibbs was teh one who said adam smith agreed with taxing the rich.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

economic downturns happen when the money lenders get poorer and stop lending money. in this case the "rich" were the banks. what does executive pay having to do with blue collar pay? is it your opinion that bank of america's ceo making $2 mil a year has anything to do with 10,000 tellars only making $15 an hour because by my math if you take away his salary that only raises the tellars salary by $200 a year?

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

fyp.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't disagree with the fact that Santorum is a loon but McCain was a complete joke.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Not for law school, unimane. No way in hell he gets in with a 3.0 if he's white. No way at all.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Couple of things:

1. Bush did release his grades. All of them. Curiously, he made about the same as Gore, and better than the Kerry, the uber-intellectual.
    2. It's not about "how high" - it's about corroborating evidence. If the media wants to fall all over themselves to claims he is an intellectual - prove it.
    3. I'm curious to know how you (or anyone) came to the conclusion of either his advanced intellectual prowess or of his scholastic achievement....given the unavailability of any and all evidences to either support or refute such a claim? Is it just a simple case of "wanting to believe it" or do you know something that the rest of us do not?
    4. Here's the problem with your Bush to cocaine analogy....Bush not only admitted it, but didn't spend the rest of his life trying to purport that he had never used it. Unlike President Obama, who allows these widespread rumors about his nuclear-grade intellect to pervade, and which are entirely without proof. Also, and most importantly, insofar as the person is not doing cocaine while in office, it should have no more affect on someone's candidacy than what people may wish to attach to it based on their own personal preference / morality / character. Conversely, if an intellectual lightweight was serving as POTUS....it would undoubtedly have far-reaching implications as to her/his ability to competently and effectively perform their duties.
    5. While Palin's academic achievement may be lower than President Obama's....at least we know what hers actually was, because she released the records. And, no one is claiming that she didn't earn whatever she achieved, however lesser it might be to some, in comparison to President Obama's.

Here's a larger (and perhaps a better) question - why would any supporter of affirmative action seek to diminish or subdue whatever role it might have played in President Obama's life - and in fact, why wouldn't that be something that was championed as the reason for its inception and continuance? In other words, why would anyone seek to subdue even the appearance that he might have received favorable treatment (i.e. entrance to Columbia and Harvard Law, election to Editor of HLR, etc.) strictly based on his race, alone? Isn't that exactly what affirmative action was intended to do?

I don't see why this wouldn't be Exhibit A in touting the many great contributions of affirmative action to both African-Americans, as a group, and to our society, as a whole.

That is, for as long as it stands (read: not for long): Supreme Court To Revisit Affirmative Action In University Of Texas Case

Here's an excerpt from a recent SCOTUS ruling, included in the linked article, that affirmative action proponents might want to recall, for future reference:
    "In 2007, Alito joined with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas to strike down affirmative action programs in public high schools in an opinion that concluded, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race."

Wow. I guess combatting racism with even greater and more institutionalized forms of racism, albeit in the opposite direction, might still be just as racist, after all.

Go figure.

18. Unimane

Bullshit. Demand drives supply. Economics 101. I shouldn't have to state this obvious fact. Wealthy only pump money into companies if those companies have demand and people only get wealthy from satisfying demand. Holy shit, this is ridiculous.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Tickle-me Elmo laughs at this assertion.

20. Unimane

And there are a million products demanded that laugh as well. Slick advertisements creating demand still relies on demand to create profit. The world is littered with attempts to create demand by wealthy individuals that fell flat because actual demand wasn't there.

I seriously can't believe that people actually believe that demand does not cause supply. You all are kidding, right?