Obama and His Accomplishments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

did you take economics 101? remember the multiplier and lending sections? i guess not.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not sure what you are arguing exactly. you seem to be arguing that wealthy people investing doesn't help job creation and the capital needed to make the products others are demanding appears out of thin air.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Rich = bad

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think he is under playing the role of the wealthy to make it seem like the real drivers of the economy are the low and middle class. This gives the reflection that the wealthy aren't imporant and only through luck of having wealth that they get to exploit others.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. Go to deserted island.
    2. Demand internet.
    3. Tell me how stupid I am via an email sent from said island.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, I'm arguing that wealth was created by people creating demand for products. Those that were able to deliver these products on a large scale became wealthy. Certainly, you need money to start a business or produce something on a mass scale these days, however, the driving force behind the economy and productivity is people's desire for products. All initial activity is generated by that demand and the origins of economic activity was based off this, then slowly expanded. When that demand wanes, for whatever reason, that's when the economy has a downturn.

I'm not sure why this is a hard concept. It's as if people here are arguing that rich people magically appeared from nothing and not that wealth was created from demand. It's not that I hate wealthy people, it's just that I know where the real health in the economy is and that is demand.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Are you actually insinuating that Santorum is more capable than McCain? If so, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen written.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That's not a relevant analogy. You are starting at Step 1 and then expecting to get to Step 1,500 with one jump. A more apropriate island reference might be this:

1. I collect all the coconuts on the island and consider myself the wealthiest among islanders in terms of the stuff I possess.
    2. I try to sell coconuts to the islanders.
    3. They don't like coconuts and want papaya instead.
    4. I am broke because the islanders don't want the stuff I had and I ignored demand.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That model works well for a one employee local business.In the real world you'd likely need to hire several people, purchase equipment and land, then harvest the papayas and coconuts.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ok. say your theory is as obvious, simplistic, and correct as you say it is. why do you think people getting richer hurts the middle class? i.e. surely poor people aren't "demanding" as many products as the rich. so therefore the rich getting richer helps everyone. that is unless you buy the garbage that teh US economy is a zero sum game.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is absurd as the previous argument. The idea that steady jobs happened for Americans because demand just appeared is ludicrous. Wonder why said demand isn't making Africans wealthy. Wonder why it took capital to change Singapore? Wonder how China stayed poor forever with all that demand?

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Not a econ guy, but I'm definitely siding with Droski and BPV on this one.

EDIT: In the supply-demand argument with Unimane. Now, it appears droski and BPV are arguing with one another.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the iphone is a perfect example of what you say. no one knew they wanted an iphone until it was created. but I already pointed out that demand didn't create the capital to start apple, but that was ignored. my greater objection is this theory that rich people in any way make people poorer.

15. CardinalVol

I'll argue that other than basic necessities, hardly anything was created by a demand for a product.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agreed.

17. CardinalVol

The best explanation I've heard is that wealth is not a pie, but it is a candle.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They are both [uck fay]ing worthless. I don't like either of them so I'm not going to argue about which one is more retarded ([uck fay]ing pointless).

[uck fay] you for the second part of you comment.

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Wimpy on Popeye helped me create a demand for Hamburgers! I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

Toliet paper was also demanded, people were tired of using leaves, corncobs and Sears and Roebuck catalogs.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The new glossy pages of the Sears catalog greatly increase the chances of smearage. Gimme a newspaper any day over modern catalogs. Honestly, I'm still waiting for some rich bastages to give us those 3 seashells. Knowing they work for Sandra Bullock, more than seals the deal for me.