The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Now that this carnival side show is over, it's three weeks until GGG-Canelo!

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Other than the bank, I don't know where Conor goes from here. He proved he's more game than just about anyone gave him credit for.

Love to see him kick Maywethers head off in a real fight.

3. GahLee

Looking forward to this.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Yes. Thank you!

5. Unimane

That was a real fight and McGregor probably should take his enormous winnings from this fight and retire or stay in MMA. He wouldn't fight lower level boxing opponents to gain experience and younger, hungrier fighters would lay waste to him. Mayweather is an old, technical fighter who wins by fighting smart and defensively, plus is a shell of what he once was. A Keith Thurman, GGG or Mikey Garcia is the type of fighter the Irishman would probably match up with, considering his notoriety, and that would end very poorly for McGregor. He's just too late in the game, has poor technique and doesn't have the time to build up his stamina for the boxing ring.

Still, getting in the ring tonight was an exceptionally wise decision for him and he came to trade blows, which I always respect in a fighter. He did as well as could possibly be expected.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Boxing didn't do itself any favors tonight

7. GahLee

In a real fight Floyd would have gotten mangled. Quickly.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No. It was a boxing match.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

A guy whose first boxing match was tonight, went ten rounds with a 50-0 guy, and couldn't use any of his skill set other than "punching bag."

I think the MMA vs boxer debate is settled. MMA fighters will get in the ring with the best boxers, but the best boxers won't get in the octogon.

10. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

What did last night settle that wasn't already settled? Each guy dominates in his sport, which we already knew.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The curve from boxing to MMA is much steeper than MMA to boxing. I

MCGregor doesn't dominate MMA. He's good, but he's not to MMA as Mayweather is to boxing.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This.

Boxing could have made a statement tonite. Instead, all it did was show a non pro boxing, MMA fighter could hold his own. I don't think anyone in their right mind believes that works in reverse.

13. Unimane

Mayweather was in control of that fight the entire time. I'm guessing you all haven't seen him fight before, as he always takes his time and didn't even use much of the repertoire, the shoulder roll, movement, etc. He's a technical fighter and let a wild, ineffective and inexperienced boxer punch himself out and then Mayweather took him apart. All this while not having fought for two years and being 40 years old. Any MMA fan boys thinking this fight said anything about MMA fighters being able to step into the ring and compete are kidding themselves.

14. Unimane

A.K.A. a fight. Tired of the MMA arrogance about "real fights".

15. chavisut

Ha I'm not an MMA fan at all.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  16. NashVol11

What kind of bragging right is this, though? It's still an extremely steep learning curve either way and there's still absolutely zero chance that an MMA fighter beats a good boxer in a boxing match.

I meant that each one on his own turf would dominate the other one, but I also wouldn't say 41-year-old Mayweather really dominates boxing either. He's not the same guy he used to be

17. NashVol11

I think people are overstating how much he "held his own" just because he lasted 10 rounds. Floyd was doing exactly what he wanted.

18. Unimane

Why is it settled? When has one of the best boxers gotten into the octagon? McGregor, an MMA champ in his prime, going into the ring and getting schooled by a 40 year old who used the bout as a gateway to retirement doesn't say much to me. I know a few over the hill boxers have gone into the octagon, but that was when they were well past their sell by date in the ring. I suppose we won't see the answer to this question until it becomes financially and professionally worth it to a top boxer to step into the octagon as it was for McGregor last night.

19. chavisut

Yes.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don't follow boxing so I'd never heard of him, but I'm a fan of Gervonta Davis now. Apparently the guy's coach was the inspiration for Cutty's character on The Wire.