The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It was boxing, AKA a jogging competition.

2. fl0at_

While McGregor couldn't do anything he wanted.

There is no debate that Mayweather has more stamina. He's proved that time and time again.

That's certainly an aspect of boxing, that wouldn't translate to MMA.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How long are the rounds and how many rounds are there in UFC fights?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Cool, let McGregor fight someone other than a 40 year technical boxer on a two year layoff who had KOed pretty much no one in a decade (Other than a cheap shot on Victor Ortiz) and he won't have to worry about jogging or conditioning.

5. fl0at_

Max 5 and 5

6. fl0at_

Add in the ability to take it to the mat and it sounds like we've got a real competition.

7. Unimane

Certainly more of a competition than in the ring.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think that Mayweather necessarily has more stamina or endurance than Connor, he is just way, way more familiar with the pacing of a boxing match and new how to pace himself better. I think for 25 minutes of fighting you have to have some serious endurance. Hell, for six minutes of wrestling you have to be in good shape.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Did Connor ever hurt Mayweather? I only watched the highlights of the fight.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yeah, the conditioning for the two sports is different.

11. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

There was one sequence in the 3rd or 4th where he got him pretty good, couldn't follow up though. He threw a bunch of bombs that looked a lot better than they actually were.

12. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

You can try to reduce it to "stamina" if you'd like, but McGregor could have had the same stamina as Mayweather and he still would have gotten dominated. That's not "holding his own."

If the bar we're setting is "enter the ring, lose by a giant margin, have the fight end early and watch my fans claim moral victory for lasting that long," I'm fairly certain Mayweather could reach the same bar in MMA. He just has no reason to do so.

13. fl0at_

You can claim otherwise, but there is no way any MMA guy in a top fight is going to win a decision in a boxing match.

And there is no way Mayweather is going to succumb to fatigue.

So what does that leave for the only way for an MMA guy to win? To come out swinging, and keep doing so until someone drops.

What you or Uni may see as undisciplined fighting was the only way McGregor was going to have a shot at a victory.

MMA at least has an additional way to victory that boxing doesn't.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You shouldn't be able to curl up in a ball and turn your back on an opponent in any combat sport.

15. Unimane

No, there are multiple ways to win in boxing, but the mma guys aren't skilled enough in the sport to pull it off against a top boxer who's been doing it for years. Not being skilled enough to strategize or adapt is not a particularly good excuse, nor does it make mma better.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Mayweather is a world class boxer, probably one of the pound for pound best ever. McGregor probably should have tried boxing with a couple of scrubs first?

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I watched more highlights this afternoon. Didn't look like McGregor did much damage. Maybe a couple of combinations, but no real power behind many of his punches.

18. Unimane

Probably, but I sure as shit wouldn't turn down the, at least, $50 million or so he's getting from fighting Mayweather.

19. fl0at_

The entire skill set of a boxer necessary to win against an MMA guy in the ring consisists of a jogging competition.

The best runner won. No doubt.

20. fl0at_

Why? He's not trying to be a boxer.