Student walk out

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 19, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Illuminate me.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The point of the program is primarily for students and alumni, in that order imo.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not targeted enough. Not going to get the kind of attention they want.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The student section will just lose seating for 2018

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, first of all, we don't know if this is an actual thing, but we are all opperating under the assumption it is. If the AD demonstrated they cared, or if the students thought the AD cared, do you you think they would be protesting?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Would certainly be a reasonable course of action if they didn't show up for the rest of the season.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

College kids do tons of stupid stuff. Explain the point of protesting.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I just did.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

and I still don't understand why some of you want to see the program dragged thru some more mud by a midgame walkout. That's in no way "wanting the best for the program". That's wanting embarrassment to fuel more fire for hate for Butch.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You asked me a question, which I presume is your method of explaining what the point is not. My answer is that they students would be likely to protest regardless as to their perception of the AD. I'm asking for you to explain to me what you think the point of protesting is.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And I'm telling you I did.

But if you want to go to the official definition, if that makes it easier on you we can:

As a verb - express an obejection to what someone has said or done (or perhaps in this case hasn't done).

As a noun - a statement or action expressing dissaproval of or objection to something.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's the definition. Not the point. If I tell you I drove my car and you ask me why, I don't hand you the owner's manual to the car or the definition of "drive". I tell you I was going to the grocery store. So I ask again, what is the point?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And I tell you again, I've already told you.

As many times as you've asked.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What? The program isn't in mud - it's quagmired neck-deep in 10+ years of bullshit, and which is not only and directly brought about by the self-serving ineptitude of a few, but which the (seemingly) powerless millions are then also forced to not only endure, but suffer pay for.

How about you spend a fraction of this effort in railing against why a program of our stature has been allowed to become neck deep in shit, and who is responsible, rather than the students who are merely wanting to point out that fact, and which is absolutely their right - perhaps even their duty - to do? You know, because covering our head and convincing ourselves that we somehow deserves this won't actually do a damned thing to get our program out of the shitter.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Great. So is the point of protesting to ask questions or look up definitions online? Because I'm not sure walking out of the stadium is going to help there.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If anyone here thinks that 1/3 of the students walking out en masse won't be picked up by the media, local and perhaps beyond (depending upon how many do it and how well organized it is), you've likely hit your head.

That's manna from heaven for the media. Hell, the headline writes itself.

Best - and like it or not, and fair or not - it might be the coup d'etat for Jones. War is often too serious to be left to the Generals.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think it would be picked up and I don't think it would be spun the way we or they would like it to be. I think it leaves the act way too open to interpretation, much like Kaep's kneel, but at least he had the opportunity to get in front of a microphone and explain his intention. Unless there is some aspect of this protest of which I'm not aware, I think the coverage will be about a bunch of malcontents that disrespected the student athletes that work so hard to represent them. I don't think that's fair, but that is what I expect.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Tenny I've said plenty about coaching and aware of the mire of the program, which isn't as bad as we were a few years ago, yet. I just choose not to repeat the same stuff 1000 times, especially when points are obvious. I didn't renew my tickets this year after 25 years as a ticket holder, have some good conversations recently and my business extends to the UT training room, where there has been plenty of railing in discussions with various players and people over the last few years. Lastly I didn't suggest students not protest. I just said I thought a walkout was dumb and not good for the program right now. It's certainly your prerogative to disagree with my reasoning.

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

They aren't using the national anthem or the American flag as their prop. Different deal, imo.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Guess - 4K students there.

50 walk out, if that many.

Much adu about nothing.