Peyton Manning to Broncos

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kptvol, Mar 19, 2012.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Every fan base does this, just look at Vol fans and how they're about to win 13 games this coming season.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not submerged in the middle of other fanbases.

If I lived in Indianapolis and liked another team more than the Colts, yet local fans told me I had to cheer for them because they were the local team and couldn't understand why I didn't then over time I would probably grow to loathe them as well.

Throw in they are a second class franchise owned by a moron owner with other issues and you quickly start to build up a lot of hatred for a particular franchise.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm the exact same way - I don't have a favorite NFL team, and don't want one. Peyton with the Colts is about as close as it ever came, or will.

I like some teams more than others, but it's more likely their style of play, or a player or offense / defense than who they are or where they're from.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

George was a puss, but McNair was a tough mofo and enjoyable player to watch.

5. CardinalVol

Couldn't stand up to a bullet though.

JMO, IMO

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

fyp

7. Tenacious D

Reasons I Hate the Nashville Titans:

1. Bud Adams only moved for the money. True of all owners, for sure, but none have been so brazen about it, IMO. He didn't care if they were in Nashville of Neptune, really.

2. He's never embraced Tennessee - why embrace him or that team? He still lives in Houston, and of everyone will recall, wanted to keep the Oilers name and colors in tact...and only changed it when it was apparent that not everyone would buy a turd that someone simply slapped "Tennessee" on the side (unless of course, it's orange). I hate that the entirety of their fanbase outside of Nashville hadn't shown such discretion.

3. All of Tennesse paid for his move via money that the State kicked in, IIRC. Given as how we're bobbing just between Zimbabwe and Alabama in childhood literacy, forgive my lack of giving a shit about a stadium or team in Nashville.

4. I hate that it's called the "Tennesse" Titans - when it's painfully obvious that it's Nashville's team, and is hated by both West (they wanted an NFL team for years) and East (our "Tennessee" wears orange, thank you).

5. I hate that Jeff Fischer voted for Woodson for the Heisman. As did Eddie George.

6. I hated the hype that always surrounded Jeff Fischer aka "Boy Elvis" - especially when his list of accomplishments falls squarely between "jack" and "[penis]".

7. I hate that they didn't do whatever it took to get Peyton in 1999 - and even more that they bungled this one.

8. The "Music City Miracle" was no miracle - it was a forward lateral.

9. Nashvillians have always bemoaned the fact the UT plays in the sticks of East TN, and were jubilant when they got the Oiler / Titans. So, you can have'em.

10. I hate Mike Keith's stupid ass. I like Bob Kelsing for one reason, and one reason only - he got Mike Keith's stupid ass shipped off to Nashville. If 2,379 years from now, Kesling's 94th clone is still calling Tennessee games (badly, no doubt) - I will consider it as having been an even swap.

11. I hate that Jeff Fischer helped USC beat us out for Patrick Turner by denying reports that Chow was coming to Nashville. Turner signed with USC, 2 days later, Fischer announced Chow to Nashville.

12. I hate their logo and their name.

13. I hate that people who live in Nashville convince themselves that it's nearly on par with other larger cities - and it isn't. Nashville is a shitty town. It's actually closer to Knoxville than a Philly / Chicago / Dallas - and that's leaving out NYC and LA, who would each be insulted to be seen in the same sentence as Nashville.

14. I hate that their 900 year old carpet-bagging owner still can't figure out that he (allegedly) represents more than morbid obesity and that such didn't prevent him from throwing the bird - THE BIRD, the redneck's most lethal weapon - at fans in Buffalo.

I'll stop now, but yes, I hate the Titans.

8. CardinalVol

I like Fisher more than Tenny D, but other than that, that pretty sums up my feelings.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Nothing wrong with hating the Titans but I disagree with some of your reasons.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I was indifferent to the Titans until I saw people in E. Tennessee starting to follow the carpetbaggers to the west instead of the Vols. Then, I moved to Nashville and had about 3-4 televised games of the Packers lost because of blackout rules.

Point blank, I don't respect the franchise. I'm a 5th generation Green Bay fan and a UT grad, two football traditions built from the ground up that remained true to its roots. I could never see either hold a city hostage for a new stadium or sell itself to the highest bidder. It's just a bland, soulless enterprise.

11. Tenacious D

15. I hate the Titans because of the perfectly reasonable but oppositional arguments posed in rebuttal of my own.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

McNair was fun to watch. The way the Titans botched his leaving made me dislike Bud a little more.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Count me in, as far as I will ever be a fan of one particular NFL team.

It's pro sports; I follow, and route for, the teams that have players I like and are doing well. That's about as emotionally attached as I can become, and I figure if the coaches and players and teams can hop from one city to the next depending on prevailing winds, I can do the same.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do hate the fact I have to watch the Titans on Sunday. I have to get Sunday Ticket to get away from them.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

As a Bengals fan the Oilers and then the Titans were in the old Central Division before realignment. And in the late 80s and early 90s the Oilers were the chief rival considering Pittsburgh and Cleveland were awful half the time. Wyche and Glanville despised each other which made for great television.

But back to the topic. The only Bengals game on national TV the year the Titans relocated temporarily to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis was a Thursday night game after Thanksgiving. Corey Dillon ran all over them to set the then rookie rushing record and they won 41-14. Whatever nascent Tennessee love I may have had disappeared as Dillon just totally abused the Oilers that night and it brought back all kinds of old memories. (And they were still actually the Oilers then).

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've been to probably 20 Titan games. Not a single one was as loud as the Marshall game in 2006.

Pro games just aren't anything like a college game.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bud did bring Carl Pickens "home".

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Ha, I'm not good at rebuttals but I tried. I do understand that a lot of the Titan fans are annoying, I hear them every day on talk radio. I didn't even listen today, sure some of them hate Manning more than Kiffin now.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

lmao

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

A Jets-Giants, Bengals-Steelers, or Broncos-Raiders game may change your mind.

But yes, as a general rule, most NFL games are pedestrian by comparison.