TN State Legislature to Punish Memphis

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's ok. When Elizabeth Warren proposes legislature to punish Tennessee in Congress, we should just be quiet and vote her out.

JayVols and tvolsfan like this.
  2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm not in TN and cannot speak to this particular situation, but we have done plenty of contacting/making arguments/complaining to state/federal representatives on various issues over the years. I sincerely believe it has impact when enough do it. Not every time, but it can lead to change and 'evolution' on issues.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It makes a difference.

The right argument will win, eventually, if and only if enough people hear it.

4. fl0at_

Good.

Luck.

Donald Duck.

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I'll just step out of this conversation and apologize to the board, and uni, personally, for drunk posting. leaving it at that. sorry, guys.

JayVols, Tenacious D and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. fl0at_

Just vote us out.

JayVols likes this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Accepted, and understood. I dare say many of us, including myself, have done much worse under such scenarios and should make zero judgments on the matter.

TangoUniform likes this.
  8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Boo. Drink and post more.

tvolsfan, Tenacious D and fl0at_ like this.
  9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I guess I just don't understand what's happening. I thought I read that the state tried to have it torn down in an indirect way. It didn't work out.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Water under the bridge. Speak your mind freely, no grudge here

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Such an act would be well within the rights of Congress, if proposed and passed, and it wasn’t vetoed by POTUS or overturned by SCOTUS.

Those opposing such legislation - be they in Tennessee or elsewhere in the US - could work to prevent it.

The system works, not always perfectly, but in all ways, and both just as it would in this fictitious scenario and in Memphis’ actual case.

A passable majority of TN Legislators clearly didn’t approve of what Memphis did, and so they hammered them for it (or, if you prefer, they “brought Memphis to heel” as Hillary would likely put it) through completely transparent, utterly democratic and seemingly legal means.

Tough shit. So, either use the same system to reverse or overturn it, or not. Or just [itch bay] about it, blaming the player and not the game, I guess.

12. fl0at_

There were confederate statues in a few parks. The city tried for years to have them removed, but didn’t get the support from the state.

So the city sold the parks. The buyer removed the statues.

State reps got butt hurt, because how dare the city, and took away some minor funding.

tvolsfan and Volst53 like this.
  13. Tenacious D

Noted.

14. Tenacious D

Memphis is a worthless shit-hole. Always has been. Always will be.

If Tennessee forced either Arkansas or Mississippi to assume it, each state would be better than before.

If you don’t like what the legislature did, then get enough of the votes amongst the current legislative body to overturn it, and/or work to remove or replace those who voted for it, and/or challenge its legality in a court of law.

That’s how it works.

15. fl0at_

You should vote Memphis out.

JayVols likes this.
  16. Tenacious D

Amazing.

17. Tenacious D

First, get voted in.

Again, good luck.

18. fl0at_

That you equate that with voting is the amazing part.

19. fl0at_

Why bother, we know how to circumvent that anyway.

Wait for our tax withholdings.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Aaahhhh. I get it now. Thanks. Never have kids, work 60 plus hours a week, sleep like shit, then try to comprehend something your read on your phone between breaks at work.