TN State Legislature to Punish Memphis

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Apr 19, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If we were a nation of people that were never offended by anything, would it still be "ok" for me to urinate in the toilet while you were taking a shit?

You're not offended, so what's the problem?

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm not necessarily offended you're urinating on me while I'm pooping. I just don't want you urinating on me.

You pre on my rug, we have another problem.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Because that rug really ties the room together.

4. fl0at_

I’m a bit of a dribbler, so no promises. But you wouldn’t be offended by me peeing on either, so it would be ok.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

First, I don't really think these statues should be destroyed. Rather, relocation to museums or specific historic sites is way to go. And while I haven't run across statues which have a deeply personal negative impact, I do have friends who have. So empathy plays a large role. Sometimes listening to another's perspective and seeing things through different eyes and experiences can significantly impact one's opinion.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think, if these people want to keep a Confederate statue up, then they should have to put up a statue for a black (or Asian or Hispanic) figure, preferably of the black nationalist variety in keeping with the separate nation theme. You know, since it's "history". I'll look forward to a statue of Malcolm X, Louis Farrakhan or Marcus Garvey in McKenzie, TN.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That you see a democratically achieved but personally disagreeable conclusion as tyrannical may be the most telling thing you’ve ever posted.

I don’t reject your right, or anyone else’s, to criticize anything, and would defy you to find either a single example or another person who would agree with you on that point.

I think the vast majority of your criticisms are wrong, dumb, near-sighted, so bias-driven as to redefine dogmatism, naively idealistic, dangerously simple-minded and silly.

But I don’t reject your right to give it, never have and hopefully never will.

8. Tenacious D

Right and wrong can certainly continue to exist in absence of the law, they just won’t matter.

9. Tenacious D

Excellent idea.

Enlighten enough of the uneducated masses to win approval for it.

10. fl0at_

And just when is your next legal foray into use of prostitutes in Vegas?

Or the next big time human hunting safari experience you could no doubt purchase in some warring African nations?

But no doubt you’ll exceed the legal posted speed limit some time this weekend.

I think you’ll what matters will matter more than what the law says.

11. fl0at_

Nope.

12. Tenacious D

Prostitutes, hunting, speeding...I don’t know.

What does the law say? Because that’s what ultimately matters.

I can think and argue whatever I choose to do, as can anyone else.

And you can continue to believe and argue that right is ultimately more important than law, but I can’t agree with you, because then we’d both be wrong.

And if I’m pulled over and cited for speeding, will you come help me out by arguing if it was right or not, instead of the il/legality of it, and pay my fine if convicted? I think that’d be the only point I’d need to make as to which was preeminent, between the two.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't tell me what to do.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Don't tell ME what to do.

15. fl0at_

If I determine your speeding was right, yea, I will.

16. Unimane

That you see my views as such I wear as a point of pride, considering your perspectives on most matters. This is about the sixth "most telling" post I have made in your eyes, which is also quite humorous. I do find the accusation of bias particularly amusing, though, from someone who regularly supports his position with links to far right online and media sources. But, anyway...

"Tyranny of the Majority" is an expression where the majority places its own interests above the minority, but you knew this. Instead of reflecting upon the common knowledge of the phrase, you chose to score some cheap points. Perhaps, dare I say, "telling"?

In any event, plenty of democratically achieved conclusions have been exceptionally objectionable, even (Gasp!), tyrannical. Surely, then you disagree with the expression of St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas and Dr. King in their statement "An unjust law is no law at all", based upon your slavish fidelity to law and majority rule. Those sit-in protestors should've minded their own business and tried to simply persuade all those nice people to vote for changes.

Now, the denial of $250,000 to Memphis for a private entity pulling down a statue of a garbage slave trading traitor as "unjust" is a bit too dramatic, but it certainly is wrong.

17. Tenacious D

Yes, my record of calling your ideas stupid is long, distinguished and consistent.

I continue to strongly disagree that a democratically-elected majority represents a tyranny.

What ultimately most helped to win, promote and continually ensure for those Civil Rights gains? The law.

The rest of this is silliness is just a poorly-veiled Appeal to Pity, Popularity and is clumsily baiting (you think I give two shits if there are Civil War statutes in Memphis, or elsewhere?).

18. Unimane

Yeah, probably equals my estimation of your posts, so we're at a push. You still fail to understand, or misrepresent, the phrase "tyranny of the majority", but that's ok. It's this type of nonsense that allows me to return back to you my low estimation of many of your posts.

Otherwise, good on the law for taking nearly 200 years to ensure the rights of nearly all its citizens and only after many people expressed themselves, and more, in the manner I have here. However, interestingly enough, in this instance the law did ensure some of the rights, but the majority conspired to circumvent or cancel them entirely.

And, if you don't care about the statues or the argument, then why the [uck fay] are you posting your opinion in the thread specifically identified for this purpose? Don't pull some bullshit bait and switch, either stand for or against the argument or keep out.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Scott Pruitt should be fired for illegal acts, right?

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

These statue uproar are funny as hell
    Especially from a younger generation that probably hasn't stepped foot for a day in Memphis, but want to get on the statue bullshit. Y'all know nothing.